Does anyone have any advice for potty training?I had her trained for 2 days wearing underpants, and my husband put her in a diaper the next day so it set us back- now i am trying again and now my 2 yr old tells me when she needs to go but goes in her diaper anyway- I have put her in underwear again and she still goes #1 and #2 in those. She sits on the potty but does nothing and she is starting to cry sitting there- WHAT DO I DO????

Mommy-2-B-of-2

Asked by Mommy-2-B-of-2 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• put her potty in front of the TV, that way she'll be entertaine while ahe is sitting there. Abd when she does go, have a party. Litterally. Get out the blow horns & throw some confetti around or something, & make her feel like what she did is worth a party. Trust me it works, she will WANT to go in the potty. What worked for me though, was this. I had her potty next to my big potty. Every time i went to the bathroom, she would try too.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:57 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• If she's starting to cry while sitting there, I'd back off for a while. The more stress and pressure she feels, the worse it will be.
    Put everything away - the potty, the panties, everything. Don't say anything to her about it, just calmly put a diaper on her as you did for 2 years.
    If she asks about the potty, just tell her that it's put away for now and when she's ready to use it again, you'll pull it back out. Then change the topic.
    In a couple weeks, try again. Make sure Dad is on the same page and knows when diapers are allowed and when they aren't.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• what i did with my son was i made a chart. anytime he went in the potty, he got to put a sticker on it. it was very fun for him. whenever he got done, he would be so excited to put a sticker on. after he finished at least one row of stickers, he got a new toy. now sometimes he tells me when he has to go. when i bathe him, he takes off his clothes and goes #1 in the toliet.
    SpiderMama123

Answer by SpiderMama123 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Hey, I'm telling you now, I don't deserve the credit for my son being trained, my husband started it and my son ran with it BUT... what he did was, he waited for the signs of pooping (you know your kid-- the red face or hiding behind the couch etc) and then CALMLY said what are you doing buddy? and when my son said "pooping and playing in my room" my husband said "of we do that on the potty buddy, you're a big boy" When you catch them in the middle of going, they cant' really stop. That will at least give the child the opportunity to feel success... so you can praise and jump for joy!!! It happened to be Labor Day weekend so when we went to a party at my mom's, everyone said it was a potty party and gave him big boy underwear and we took him to get matchbox cars (cheap but efficient)... keep your patience because even months after training they may have accidents and it can be frustrating! GOOD LUCK
    2Kiddies4Me

Answer by 2Kiddies4Me at 12:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2009