This one is about my youngest.

ok, she's going into kindergarden next year but her pre-k teacher says that the school should bump her. she's very shy and not out spoken, i have my doubts about bumping her, but hubby said that if that's what they school wants to do, then do it. she'll be 6 in oct and between the teacher and her older sisters, she's already adding and subtracting and because she helps me measure stuff for baking, she know a little bit about fractions.
if this was your kid, would you bump her or would you make her stay?

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 11:29 AM on May. 15, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There is SO much more to school readiness and grade level advancement than academics. Frankly, given the specifics you do here - her academics and the fact that is 'very shy' and not outspoken, I would NOT bump her. A child that is advanced at 4 may not remain as far ahead of the pack as grade levels advance. Or she may. regardless, being socially mature and ready is as important as subject matter abilities.

My two were both ahead academically entering K. They still are (now in 4th and 2nd.) But socially and emotionally there were on par for their age and needed to stay within the grade their age placed them. Look ahead - do you think a child that is - is it safe to say timid to a point? - going to benefit from entering Jr. High young? Or High School? It's not just about adding/subtracting. It's about managing the classroom environment and 'very shy'/not outspoken plus a year younger does not bode well to me.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:02 PM on May. 15, 2012

• Depends on her social skills. My son also has an October birthday. He's about to finish up 2nd grade, but is the same age as most of the 3rd graders. I've asked about skipping him up, but he is still not socially ready for that advancement.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:46 AM on May. 15, 2012

• I think that since she is shy and not very social you would be doing more harm than good by bumping her. Just because a child is very smart brainwise does not mean they are mentally ready to skip a grade.

We have been given the suggestion of sending LO to this private school that starts kg at 4, there is NO WAY I am pushing her through school. She is indeed very smart and several friends are gifted teachers and they frown on bumping past a grade, they have given me things to challenge her at home and what to look for in a class for her when she starts school, I am sure we will be in our district instead of opting out because they have many gifted programs, but I am still not pushing gifted until I see how she does in her first year of actual school ( kindergarten).

Of course it is really up to you, if you have doubts I would not do it.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:07 PM on May. 15, 2012

• I am all for making sure that children are challenged, but they need to be socially ready as well. If you want to you opt for a K5 home school program and if she finishes that early you could start 1st grade. Just a suggestion.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:21 PM on May. 15, 2012

• I would not bump her! I held my son back and he will start Kindergarden this September right before he turns six. He was very very shy and not socially ready at all. Socialization is just as important as acedemics, sometimes I think its more important.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 9:58 AM on May. 18, 2012

• I would not bump her.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 6:29 PM on May. 19, 2012

• We chose not to bump our son because he was not socially ready for 1st grade. It's not just academics that need to be taken into account-- it is interaction with peers, etc. From what you have said, she is very much like my son-- ahead academically and behind socially. I would give anything to have it the other way around. It is easier.

other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 6:24 PM on May. 22, 2012

• i'm so sorry anon, i didn't realize we we're only allowed to post about one of our children a day.

thursday is her last day of school, and she's not happy about it. she loves school.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 11:44 AM on May. 15, 2012

• Bump her, kids should always be challenged or they'll get bored.
    themodestgal

Answer by themodestgal at 11:37 AM on May. 15, 2012

• – collapse
    another one, getting old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on May. 15, 2012 (hidden) + expand