so when you become a Christian, you give up everything?

My friend claims that I'm not a Christian because I don't listen to Christian music 24/7. and I still watch certain t.v. shows she says are not of God. (i.e. I'll watch the Tyra banks show or desperate housewives). I pray, attend Church, teach my children about God. I feel God and I have a really good relationship. So I'm not understanding how she thinks she is better than me?? So because I watch a little t.v. and listen to other music (I'm not talking about rap music with cussing and talking about prostitutes) I'm talking like Avril Lavigne or Gwen Stefani. So is what she is saying true?? Is this how a Christian is truly supposed to live? Am I not a Christian because of these few things I haven't given up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• tell your friend shes not a Christian bc Christians dont judge each other :P
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• No shes wrong. What matters most is the relationship between you and God. God talks to us all differently. One thing thats always bothered me is hearing how we shouldnt dance or smoke or do this or that.How does someone, a human no less, know whats ok with God and that person? Tell your friend what works for you doesnt for her. It doesnt mean your wrong or sinning or anything else. When she starts setting rules then shes putting God who is all powerful, all knowing and all things in a box and limiting what he says and does. There isnt a right or wrong for any one person.

Answer by gemgem at 12:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• i have the same problem. i barely listen to gospel,and i watch desperate housewives.you find it that pastor and wifes do the same thng sometimes. nobody is perfect! im pretty sure there something she not giving up either. continue to pray,and teach our children the word , and surround yourself with christian ppl. you be fine
    007wifey

Answer by 007wifey at 12:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I've noticed that there are a lot of Christians who like to point fingers and claim they are better Christians than other people. That attitude sounds decidedly NOT Christian to me.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 12:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• That's annoying.

A Christian believes in Jesus, believes he died on the cross for our sins, believes he rose again 3 days later, has accepted him into their heart, and tries to live life according to his example.

The Bible doesn't say you can't watch tv shows that aren't Christian or listen to secular music. The Bible does say however that everything you do, do for the glory of God.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Your friend sounds like a hard-core, self-righteous jerk. 

In my experience, it seems that those who accuse others of being "Not [insert religion here] enough" are the ones who are wavering in their OWN faith.  So they must put on ares an look down on others to make themselves look/ feel better. 

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• A true person, no matter what religion, does not judge, accepts all and tries to be a pleasant person, they try to see the good in everyone and everything. I think that would be your answer.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• How does your friend know God doesnt like Desperate Housewives or Tyra? Ask her that. Maybe God doesnt like the music she listens to. Maybe God thinks shes a bitch LOL.
    Anonymous

• She's being judgmental and not acting Christlike herself. I'm a Christian and I like Christian music and I listen to it a lot, but I also have my iPod full of other music too. Country, R&B, Rock, you name it, I listen to it. That doesn't make me anymore or any less of a Christian. But your friends judgmental attitude doesn't make her anymore of a Christian either.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• There are some nut jobs out there.

I was engaged to a "Chrisitan" guy once who expected me to give up all my friends the moment I said "Yes, I'll marry you". Granted, most of my friends were guys, but these were guys I'd known for YEARS --- far longer than I'd known my fiance, even. His mother told me that her OWN BROTHER wasn't even allowed in her home unless her husband was there.

Yeah....ya read that right. Haven't seen that guy in about 10-12 yrs now.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2009