Thanks anon, i got a new question from yours

have you ever been told that you ahve too much experience for the job you were applying for?

example: hubby's been cooking in restaraunts for the past 15 years, he made it to head cook, and kitchen manager. he went and applied to mcdonalds (only place hiring at the time) and they told him no on the spot because he had too much experience for them.

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 12:59 PM on May. 15, 2012 in Money & Work

• Yes but not in so many words. My previous job (part-time) involved managing the marketing function of a small company. When that company eliminated it's marketing budget (and with it me) I was out looking for work. I applied to tons of different things - including many part-time jobs because my preference was still to stick with the schedule more than the job description. At at least two interviews I was told that I was overqualified and that the interviewer was concerned that I would leave as soon as a full-time management position opened up. I was very clear that I was interested in a part-time position and that the schedule, not the job title, was my priority. Didn't matter. I didn't get either job despite being told they were impressed both by my resume and my interview.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:44 PM on May. 15, 2012

• Nope, but-
    When I was in school for photography and applied to Wal-Mart photo studio, I was told I had to be available for all shifts. Not just Thursday-Sunday.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:04 PM on May. 15, 2012

• You can spin this into a positive, by responding that you would be a great value to the company.

What is your spouse's education? What are his "soft skills" (computer skills, etc.)? How is he conducting his job search?
    I am currently doing HR for a small chain of cafes in Chicago; feel free to ask me questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:05 PM on May. 15, 2012

• I've been told by employers they are looking for someone who can devote more time to a company than a military spouse who is constantly on the move.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:07 PM on May. 15, 2012

• I haven't personally been told that, but I've heard it happen to people. Its crazy!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:29 PM on May. 15, 2012

• Employers are hesitant to hire "overqualified" people because they know the applicant is just using this job until something better comes along.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:41 PM on May. 15, 2012

• Further, a third job option that went into a 3rd interview for a Marketing Manager position told me that they were concerned my part-time work history over the previous 8 years (at the time) would indicate I might not be happy with their 60+ hour work week norm. Granted, they were right. ; ) I told them as much when I turned down their offer in favor of the job I have now working 22 hrs a week for a small PR agency.

DH has had similar experiences. He's held manager titles in the past. When he's interviewed for jobs below that title, the interview has expressed some concern over his willingness to 'step down' or 'step back' and whether he'd be content to stay long term as such. He has landed one such position before. Most others, however, do not make an offer.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:50 PM on May. 15, 2012

• I haven't but I could foresee that might be a problem for me in the future.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:30 PM on May. 15, 2012

• Yes I have. I list only the skills / experience the ad mentions.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:37 PM on May. 15, 2012

• yep heard of it, my mom experienced the same thing
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 12:49 AM on May. 17, 2012