What do you think of this quote? And do you believe it applies to you?

"Young women especially have something invested in being nice people, and it's only when you have children that you realize you're not a nice person at all, but generally a selfish bully."
Fay Weldon

While I agree with the first part of the quote, I don't totally agree with the last part. I did discover that to advocate for my children, I had to learn NOT to be so nice.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 1:55 PM on May. 15, 2012 in General Parenting

• Whether I like it or not, was prepared for it or not...I became a the mother bear. It's not selfish, but self preservation for your family. You see the outside world in a different way for some time.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."
    dflygirl7

Answer by dflygirl7 at 9:19 AM on May. 16, 2012

• Well, I think the "selfish bully" comes into play when you feel that it is your job to defend your child from all that the world offers.... Yes, I think I have been there. I think I'm even there more x 1000 with the grandchildren. LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:57 PM on May. 15, 2012

• i'm with you, OP. when i was pregnant, one of my clients told me, ''you may be prohibited with your thoughts right now, but once you have that baby, and someone flings an arrow in his direction, you'll find your voice..and you'll never lose it.'' she was so right!
    i'm no ''selfish bully'', but i'll be damned if i let someone fling arrows in TBBITW's direction...someone's going down, and it won't be me.

fo reelz.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:58 PM on May. 15, 2012

• I think there is some truth in the quote. I waited until late in life to have a child, though, and found my voice long before she came along.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 4:09 PM on May. 15, 2012

• ''you may be prohibited with your thoughts right now, but once you have that baby, and someone flings an arrow in his direction, you'll find your voice..and you'll never lose it.''

I love that and it is so true. I don't know that I agree with the original quote, but I have never been a very nice person. And the word selfish belongs no where in there. Any bullying is done for our child not for ourselves.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:10 PM on May. 15, 2012