What is the best way to clean pee out of carpet?

I am in the middle of potty training my 2 year old son. We have been doing pull ups and he's just not getting it. I have him in regular underwear today and I am getting tired of cleaning up pee but I know this the only way I am going to get it into his head. So I am getting concerned about the cleanliness of my house. What is the best way to keep the carpet from smelling like urine?

kittykat1919

Asked by kittykat1919 at 12:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First, have HIM blot up as much as possible. Not as punishment but as a "Oh My! You had an accident. Let's get you cleaned up... help me clean up the mess on the floor."

Then you have a choice... when he goes down for a nap, use a spray on carpet cleaner on the area or just wait a few weeks until this stage is past, then have the carpets cleaned. It's not like a dog peeing on the carpet - his urine won't stink anything like that. At least, it shouldn't. If he does have strong smelling pee or dark yellow pee (instead of barely yellow), get more water into him.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I bought the carpet shampoo for pet odors. It seems to work better at getting rid of the smell than regular carpet shampoo.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Blot as much up as you can, then use BAC OUT. It's all natural (live enzymes and lime peel extract) and it removes stains and odors. It's awesome. Between my son and my dog (she barfs occasionally) my carpet would be a disaster without this stuff. I love that it doesn't have a bunch of funky chemicals in it either. You can get it at natural food stores and grocery stores that have a good natural goods selection.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 1:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• just use vinegar after you blot it up takes the smell right out
    Steffanny

Answer by Steffanny at 1:07 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• OHHH. Thanks PhilsBabyMama. I'll have to look for that.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Resolve!! Best thing EVER. I way overuse it :) Goodluck on potty training!!
    alwaysmom98

Answer by alwaysmom98 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2009