How do I stop my toddler from hitting other kids?

My 17 month old just recently learned how to hit. Her older cousin who's 4 years old hit her, and since then she has been hitting other kids. I have firmly said NO to her, but I'm not sure she gets it. Do you have any advise?

erlsk

Asked by erlsk at 12:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• put he in time out everytime she does it .and keep telling her no
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 1:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• my son is also in a hitting faze, he is two. I put him in a time out and then he has to apologize. Make sure not to spank her when you tell her not to hit, that defeats the whole purpose. Just keep up with it, be consistent
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:13 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I'm a firm believer in the "Do unto other's" rule. So when DD does something like pushing, or biting we do it right back to her, then send her to time out until she's ready to come back and be a big girl.
    Call me crazy, but I think kids (at least mine) needs to understand why it's not okay, rather than just being told no over and over. Obviously we aren't hurting her, but we do make sure to get the point across.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jan. 29, 2009