what kind of doctor can diagnose my son with a behavior problem?

his behavior is out of control.he is angry,breaks things constantly.his behavior has gotten worse since preschool is out.help!

tracy20

Asked by tracy20 at 5:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• A child psychologist.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 5:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• You need to see a child psychoanalyst. They will listen to your situation and decide what types of tests to do for your son to diagnose him with a disorder. In Mississippi, we have a child development clinic. It is WONDERFUL. You see a team of specialists (counselors, psychs, social workers, doctors, etc) and they as a team diagnose your child and plan the course of action. It was the best thing that I ever did for my son who has mental illness.
    swaites2003

Answer by swaites2003 at 5:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i would get a refferal from your pediatrition to a child psych as the others have suggested...
    lucky750

Answer by lucky750 at 6:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• You need to have him evaluated by a child clinical psychologist.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 6:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• all those answers are true...but the second a doc says anything about a personality disorder like bipolar, walk out of the room....he has no idea what hes talking about....the DMV IV (which is like the bible of psychology) clearly states that personality disorders CANT be diagnosed in kids under 18...but some do it all the time
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 8:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I think I would start with his ped and see if there is anyway to change his behavior naturally and see if it is in normal lines. Then get a referral to another doc. I think his behavior is out of control but normal.
    jjnaaucoin

Answer by jjnaaucoin at 8:14 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Personality disorders are not diagnosed - however, there are mood disorders than can be diagnosed in a young child such as Oppositional Defiant Disorder (which is the precursor to bi-polar)
    swaites2003

Answer by swaites2003 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• A behavior problem is not a medical diagnosis. It is a result of a child not being disciplined and taught boundaries.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• First take him to his regular pediatrician, then voice your concerns to him or her. From there he/she will write a perscription to have your son evaluated by the right Dr. At least this is what I had to do when we suspected Autism in our oldest.
    AndrewnNatesMa

Answer by AndrewnNatesMa at 11:48 AM on Jul. 17, 2008