How much should a 13 month old be eating. i feel as if my dd does not have much of an appitite

toddler menu, food, appitite

lori822

Asked by lori822 at 12:47 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Toddlers only need 1/4 of the caloric intake we need as adults. So when you think about how much 500-600 calories really is...it's not a lot. And that's over the whole day. My son will eat a piece of fruit and a piece of toast and a sausage link and a cup of milk for breakfast, a fruit cup or finger veggies and a cup of juice for snack, 1/4-1/2 a sandwich and a cup of milk for lunch, about 1/4 plate of whatever we're having for dinner (think 1 chicken finger and a spoonful of green beans and half a dinner roll) with a cup of milk, and usually another cup of juice or milk throughout the day. And while it definitely wouldn't do anything to fill me up, it's plenty for him, and he's growing just fine. She'll let you know when she's hungry and when she's full.

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• If she isn't losing weight, then you are sure of her eating enough. Her pediatrician will be keeping track of her weight and height. If she eats even a little bit of a variety of foods then it is probably enough for her. Their tummies are pretty small.

Answer by Bmat at 12:50 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• my daughter is 19 mo and has not ever been an eater. she hasn't lost weight but she's not gaining either, she's 30 in and 20 pounds. she ahs been at 19-20 pounds for around 6mo now. If she's not fussing b/c she's hungry I wouldn't worry about it. she will let you know when she's hungry. my daughter starts getting whiney, but I try to feed her small amounts through the day. and like pp said, their tummies aren't very big
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 12:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My son is 13months old and his appettite has slowed way down. He use to eat non-stop, but here lately he just wants a little at each meal. I asked the doctor and she said it's normal for children this age to slow the eating patterns. As long as she is eating and not losing weight it is normal. My son eats 2 packs of oatmeal in the morning, has a snack around 10 usually milk and crackers, lunch at 12, snack at 3 and dinner at 6. For lunches and dinner I fix him things like: sphagetti o's (they are actually healthy as long as it isn't the ones with meatballs), peas and carrots, mac and cheese, chicken, hamburger helper, pork chops and so on.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 2:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Your child will eat when they are hungry.  As long as your child is not losing weight then she is fine.  If you make a big deal out of food then your child may develop food issues.  Children will not let themselves go hungry!

NannyMiranda

Answer by NannyMiranda at 2:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• if you think she isnt getting the nutirant she needs then ask her dr if its okay if you give her the pediasure drinks.. just to make sure she is getting her viamins and minerals...
    justadreamer

Answer by justadreamer at 3:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• The general rule of thumb is an adult type diet, but 1/4 of our servings. (if that lol)

Just feed her what you eat. They go through stages where they may not want to eat too much. But they usually make up for it at some point later!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2009