my 6 yr old has a problem focusing in class has anyone had to put a young child on ADHDmeds? Are there really bad side effects

millesmommy

Asked by millesmommy at 12:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you do not HAVE to put a child on medication ever.

there are other options, i think you should ask your doctor/pediatrician and do your own research before you just give your child drugs. It is healthier to do things a more natural way.

Good luck.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Has the kid been diagnosed with ADHD? Just because he/she is having a hard time focusing doesn't mean he/she has ADHD.
    Anonymous

• Sometimes meds are needed just like it is for other medical conditions....Have your child tested first, but not through his/her regular ped, go to a specaist like a devolpmental ped, they are more educated in this area... All meds have side effects, and with any med it is a trial and error type thing.. If he is ADHD and you do start meds' start slow and on a low dose, for first time med use I find short- acting meds are better, they dont effect sleep, or appitite near as bad....this is what I have learned over last 2 years with my son. feel free to PM me if you have questions
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• actually you do NOT have to take medicines at ALL.

Contrary to what you are told and think, that is not true.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• my best friend leeia has a 5 yr old boy who has adhd and she has him on some kind of patch and it calms him down but after a while he becomes immune to the meds and has to switch
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Momnbaby do you have a child with Adhd? Diet,behavior modifications to not work for every child, not every child has allergies either. So what is your point? Are you here to help or push your views with out the knowledge to back up what you are saying.? Dont just state something, back it up, give examples.
    Does every child with ADHD need meds NO, are alot of children being Dx'ed when it was something else YES....I know this, and I also know the benifits of other courses, I use many with my son.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• my point is just what i said. is it that hard to understand?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Having trouble focusing does not equal adhd, or add. You can get your child tested, but those tests are not conclusive and it doesn't mean meds are needed. Many children develop lack of focus because of artificial colorings and sweeteners in foods. Your child could need a diet change, some more exercise, etc. I wouldn't jump on medicines right away.

Also, there are homeopathics that can help with focus, without the side effects of adhd meds or the dependency.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I agree with some of the others....do you have an ADHD diagnosis? If not, that is your first step before thinking he needs meds.

If he does need medication, I encourage you to make it the LAST thing on the list of things to try. For some, behavior modification/management can work wonders. I know they've had good success with occupational therapy as well. Diets work for some, but the actual numbers are very few.

But in answer to the actual question, I do not have a kid on meds (but we are headed that direction) and I do know of a few who are. There are some rough times until the dosage and the medication are just right for the individual....You have to be vigilant about what you're doing and communicate with your pediatrician, the developmental pediatrician and psychologist (and anyone else involved in your son's case!)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• If you have a diagnosis for your child and do not agree, you can always get a second opinion. I agree with the others that sometimes a child has difficulty focusing and staying on task, but they do not need medication. Some of my past students just needed some intervention by an occupational therapist to address their sensory needs. Some of them wear weighted vests or sit on special cushions fiilled with air (they can sit and wiggle just slightly). Some kids hold something heavy on their laps and it helps their focus.Some kids need to hold a "fidgit toy" which could be a squishey ball, kosh ball and quietly squeeze it. I also know kids who just cannot sit still! They just can't help themselves. These children are put on meds and the change is totally amazing! It is like night and day! The parents may have to work with the doctor's to find the right type of meds or the right dosage. Don't give up!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2009