What would you do in this situation?

I'm in a real pickle here. My dog is a very sweet old man. He is 14 and I know his days are numbered. I took him into the vet today because he has been drinking water excessively and peeing as fast as he can drink it. The vet did a blood sugar test, and it's not diabetes.

He then told me it could be Cushings Disease, but with all of the testing and medicine I'd need, it would probably cost over $500. I wish I could afford it, but we simply can't - especially since he's so old, he might die in a week, who knows?

I hate it that we have to keep him in our kitchen, since he pees ALL the time. I feel like I'm back at square one, and I really don't want to put him down but I feel like it's almost our only option. Please help, ladies!!

weezer_cookie

Asked by weezer_cookie at 12:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Pets

• Can you keep him in your garage? I really don't know what to tell you, bless his little old heart. I guess I would do my best to keep him, but confine him to a non-carpeted area... I am so sorry to hear that... my dog is about 9.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I know it is a very hard decision to make, but you need to think about it this way....are you sacrificing HIS comfort and well being so YOU can avoid heartache? If that is the case, you are not being fair to someone that has been a loyal and dear friend for a number of years.

I myself would probably set a time frame...from week to 2 weeks, whatever you are comfortable with, and if he has not improved by then, or has in fact gotten worse, then it would be time to take him in. If you can not do it yourself, is having your hubby take him by himself an option?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Yes this is an extremely tough situation. I think you'll feel best if you keep him in a place that won't damage the floors. Put lots of newpapers down, and maybe even some kind of protective mat over the exisiting floor and then newspaper on top of that. Of course he may find it disturbing to be isolated like this, too. I think that probably I'd try another vet first and even get the blood work redone and make sure that it is a disease that is too expensive to treat. If you possibly can, maybe you could come up with the money- if one of my sons needed it for their pet I'd help them out, for example. In the end, his quality of life has dropped, and if you find that putting him down is for the best, then you know he has had a good life.

Answer by Bmat at 1:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I have a 14 yo chihuahua. He is almost blind. I kinda know what your going threw. It's a hard thing to think about letting him go. I will have to deal with that soon too. Cause mine pees and poops all over too. I can't let him out of the kitchen either. He thinks the carpet is grass I think. If you think he is suffering, in pain or discomfort. you should think of letting him go. To doggy heaven.

Answer by louise2 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I feel so bad leaving him in the kitchen all day, it's no quality of life. I try to let him out when my DH isn't home, which is most of the day.

I can't keep him in the garage, because I live in Iowa. He would probably freeze - it's only 20 degrees today. This sucks.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 1:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• It should not cost that much to test for cushings--it is only a blood test that they have to do to check the level of a hormone from the pituitarty gland. I just had a foster dog that we had the same problem with urinating and drinking so much. We had him tested and it turned out to be his thyroid. I would call another vet and talk to them about cost. It should only be $50-100 including the vet visit to have it tested for. Then the meds they have to take after are also very inexpensive. Please call around and talk to other vets in your area. You should be able to get help for him for a much cheaper price.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 1:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• don't they make doggie diapers or depends with a hole cut out for his tale then he wouldn't be stuck in the kitchen and you wouldn't have to worry about the pee all over. But it sounds like some sort of kidney problem and if it is a long term problem your going to have to really think about putting him down I would look at getting more blood work done so you know definately what your in for
    babyspots17

Answer by babyspots17 at 1:50 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Could you get some diapers for your dog? He might not like it so much but at least he'd be able to leave the kitchen and feel like part of the family again. Just slap one on him when he wants to come hang out with you guys or something.

Sorry your doggie is sick!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• What I would do is probably not the best thing to do. I love my dogs and could imagine being without them. I'd probably hold onto them as long as I could, past what is right and comfortable for them. So I'll instead give you good advice. If your dog honestly has a poor quality of life and could be in pain, I would say that it may be time to put him down. I would not spend any money on any more testing. Not simply because of the money but also because poking and prodding at him and adding medical treatments into the mix when he's not feeling well isn't going to save him and might make him feel worse. I'd make him comfortable and get some doggie cloth or disposable diapers (try googling them). I know this must be so sad for you. Good luck :-)

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• You have to think of the dog's quality of life. Would he want to go on this way if it was HIS choice? It's always hard to give up a beloved pet, but if he's in pain, unconfortable and there is nothing you can afford to do for him and you know his days are numbered, I'd say do the best thing you can for him and let him go.
    KUMom2011

Answer by KUMom2011 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2009