Is it ok to drink slim fast when pregnant?

I just bought some and my friend had asked if the dr. said it was ok to drink it or not? I'm not using it to diet or anything, I love the strawberries and cream flavor is all and had a taste for it. But then she got me wondering if its ok or not?

Tiffany237

Asked by Tiffany237 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• nooo.. its a diet supplement.

Even if you are not using it for that reason, it still is a dieting supplement.

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• if you like the taste try something else that is not designed for weight loss. I think on the back of the can it says if your a prego to consult your Dr before drinking...I would ask your Dr.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• No, I wouldn't. Slimfast is packed with calories because it's meant to be an entire meal. Having a Slimfast with a meal is too much but having a Slimfast alone isn't enough. You're only supposed to have an extra 300 calories per day when pregnant. Also, most dieting suppliment contain artificial sweeteners as opposed to fattening sugars to sweeten. There is little research on whether or not artificial sweeteners harm a fetus in any way. That being said, they're still not natural and I still wouldn't take a chance.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• It's fine as long as that's not all you are eating.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Wow, no wonder why she looked at my wierd. I am so glad that I asked! Better to be safe than sorry! I had no idea!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• As long as you're eating, it's perfectly fine. I drank the powdered version for a few months during my pregnancy. My daughter is perfectly healthy =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:16 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I always advise against using yourself and other people you know as examples of why someone else should do something. Just because it was "OK" for you, doesn't mean it is OK for everyone else. Like my MIL telling me it's OK to put my son to sleep on his stomach. Her 2 kids didn't die from SIDS, so it must be fine right? The fact of the matter is, when the "Back to Sleep" campaign was started in the early 90's reduced our SIDS rate by 45%. So what worked for my MIL doesn't mean it's safe for my son. We should always use the most recent research and medical expertise rather than "well I did it and it was OK" or "I knew someone who did it and it was OK." I personally feel that she should ask her doctor and bring a Slimfast in with her along with her pre-natal vits to decide if it is actually healthy.  Not trying to offend but I think my point is valid.

Anonymous

• I always thought it was a vitamin filled shake style thing- I would have said it'd be fine as long as you are eating too- then you'll get some extra protein.... but then again I didn't think of the fake sugars and whatnot.
    it doesn't cost to call the doctors office- I'd just ask the real professionals.

LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 3:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I asked my doctor about the Slim Fast bars because OMG I LOOOOVE THEM! He said it was okay, as long as i wasnt using them to diet. He said that 1 a day would actually be bennificial. It would give me energy and its alot better than eating chocolate. You should ask your doctor though.

Good luck with everything!
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 3:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2009