I am so frustrated my son is in the first grade and is struggling with reading I have him read atleast 1 book a night his teacher says hes on level 4 when he should be on level 10 HELP

Kimmma

Asked by Kimmma at 1:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Does he know his sight words and is it fluency? Or is he struggling over basic words? It could be how the testing came out. If he is reading for you and your not hearing the same things maybe it was the testing find out excatly where the problems are. Maybe comprehension, fluency, or difficulty sounding out words. Get a full answer!
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 1:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Do they have a special education teacher that helps with reading? When I was little I had to go see a special teacher to help me read. But I was in the third grade and couldn't read.
    Anonymous

• you can talk with the teacher and see if she has anything that can help him and you can keep reading to him and work on words ,maybe flash cards
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 1:16 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I agree with britme. Also keep doing what you are doing reading him books, and maybe try phonics cards. good luck!:)
    cjsmom734

Answer by cjsmom734 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Talk to the teacher to find out what the trouble spot is...
    Does he know his letter sounds and other phonics basics?
    Does he know the more complex phonics rules?
    Does he know his sight words?
    Can he read the words but isn't understanding what he read?
    Once you know the trouble spot, you'll know what to work on.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I agree with all of the above answers. My 1st grader is a very good reader, but he doesn't have self confadance so he had a reading teacher to work with him one on one. He does struggle with math so I bought him hooked on phonics and it has helped him sooooo much. Shop around if you decide to get the program for reading. I spent close to $90 for just the math on the actual web site and then a month later found it at ToysRus for $20! But I would really talk to the teacher first and see what they have to say and get him some help from the school for free.
    mamagraham81

Answer by mamagraham81 at 10:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• -Have him know his sight words - we put them on the fridge and our son (in K) is learning 1st grade words

- use flash cards for the sight words, and other words that are familiar and interesting to him (ours can read things like Daddy, my name, poop (he's a boy lol), dinosaur, etc.)

- every few days teach him sound combinations (ing - since it is used a lot on word endings, sh, ch, st, un, er, and others) and show him words that have them in (for example, the last one we did was "un" so we had fun, sun, run, and under)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• He knows basic words and he tries but I guess he s not at their level of reading and I dont want him struggling with it his school only tests children in 2nd grade to see if he really needs help HELLO he needs the help now thank you for alll the help
    Kimmma

Answer by Kimmma at 9:02 AM on Jan. 29, 2009