If I put my name on my husband's checking account, can creditors regarding debts from my previous marriage garnish the account?

Being that my ex is in prison for crimes he committed against me, all the debts from our marriage are falling on my shoulders and there are plenty (most of them his). Even though I have been slowly trying to pay some of them off, there are a few that are getting anxious and wanting to take me to court. Okay, I understand that part, but you can't get blood from a stone. Anyway, I have been married to my husband for 4 months now and we have been together for almost 2.5 years. He wants to add me to his checking account and as a second owner on our vehicles, but I am scared to do it. Can creditors garnish any account if my name is associated with it and/or repo property even if I am not the sole owner? My husband works his butt off to support us and it would really chap my behind if our account was garnished due to financial responsibilities that are not his responsibility.

Jen528

Asked by Jen528 at 1:14 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• Any account that your name is on can be garnished.
    tpalmer

Answer by tpalmer at 12:43 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Yes,this actually just happened to my dad.
    he got married recently and put his name on his new wifes account and our state and his state have been after him for back child support for years. Hes always hidden worked under the table, or not worked at all so that state could not garnish his wages.. it finally caught up with him ...

Bad move him putting his name on her account. They put a 70,000$ hold on THEIR account to garnish ANY money put into the account.

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• yes they can garnish any accont with your name on it im having that prob with my husband they want to take the money in our account for things from his past and they can if i put his name on the account so sorry but keep your name off of anything you dont want to get taken away from you guys sorry good luck
    kristyleigh614

Answer by kristyleigh614 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Thanks ladies for your answers. This is what I was afraid of, but I want to be cautious. It wouldn't be so bad, but a great part of the debts were made by my ex and I refuse to pay for them.
    Jen528

Answer by Jen528 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I would agree that yes they could garnish it. Have you spoken to a lawyer and looked into the possiblity of filing from bankruptcy? It may be possible for you to file and your new husband to NOT file to clear out those old debts and then no longer have to worry about paying your ex's debts any longer!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Yes they can. It happened to my mom and her ex. It would be best to not have your name added. If I were you, I wouldn't have any accounts for awhile. Use cash. Good luck hun. You have been through so much already. :)
    busymom3kids3

Answer by busymom3kids3 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2009