sit ups vs crunches

Which is better? Does sit ups really hurt your back? I've always heard that they aren't good for the back..

luvnmy3kid

Asked by luvnmy3kid at 1:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Sit ups strain the lower back, from what I've heard. A curl up, keeping the lower back on the floor and the knees bent, can be felt in the abdomen. Keep it slow up and slow down. It seems to me that I read that sit ups work on the hip flexors and not so much on the abs.

Answer by Bmat at 1:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• If your back hurts then you are not holding your belly in, you should be exhaling up and inhaling down. Hold your stomach in almost like your belly button is touching your back. If your back is hurting then it's not strong and you need to strengthen your back muscles. Try this and I think you will see a diff. I would do crunches!

determind

Answer by determind at 8:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2009