is it possible for a two week old to be spoiled or am i doing something wrong

okay my son is only two weeks olds and even after he has been changed and fed (to the point where he doesnt want anymore) and burped, he still keeps crying. its like i lay him down and start to walk away and he will start crying and as soon as i pick him back up he will stop. i will rock him and he will fall asllep but as soon as i put him down he wakes up and starts crying until someone picks him up. am i not doing something right or is he really spoiled at only two weeks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's impossible to spoil a baby before six months, when they learn cause and effect =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• And to add on...he may just want to be held. Newborns need to feel close and secure and safe. You could try a sling or a baby carrier if you need to get stuff done. My daughter is a month old and that's what I've had to do with her. I have a Snugli carrier, it gives me two free hands and she gets to stay close to me.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• He is not spoiled. This is what my family calls a "holding baby". He wants to be held. Life is very hard for that baby who until two weeks ago was never hungry, always warm, and never had a dirty diaper. Try getting a baby carrier and "wearing" your baby. This is helpful to some women. The book "happiest baby on the block" has very good tips for babies who are like this. Babies cannot be spoiled until at least 6 months old.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• He isn't spoiled, dear little one. He is used to being in a warm cozy place with a comforting heatbeat and motion. So picking him up and holding him close helps him with this good feeling.

Answer by Bmat at 1:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• He has already learned cause & effect. You hold him he is warm and cuddled. You put him down he is cold and not cuddled.

You need to learn how to wrap him in a blanket.

Answer by louise2 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• He's not spoiled. He likes to be nurtured.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 1:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I completely disagree with Louise.. completely. Babies spend NINE months in a cozy, comfortable, warm womb. They are "carried" and rocked and snug. When a baby is born, all of that changes. The outside world can be cold, some babies have a tough time adjusting to life outside the womb. If you need to be hands free, get a wrap or a sling. A two week old can not be spoiled.

You can also buy a swaddle blanket, one that velcros, which can help make it secure and snug.

You aren't doing anything wrong, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Babies need to be snuggled and loved and held, it's their nature. At two weeks old your baby is still learning to adapt to life outside the womb.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Nope, you cannot spoil a baby under 3 months old in my opinion. Try the wrap as others suggested. Also I swaddeled my ds for 3 months straight. You can get the east to use swaddles at babies r us.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 2:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• YOu cannot spoil babies under about a yr or so.
    lauralii99

Answer by lauralii99 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Yup...Get yourself a sling and HOLD and SNUGGLE and CUDDLE that baby!!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2009