how can you calm a black lab who is very hyper?

millesmommy

Asked by millesmommy at 1:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Pets

• exercise daily is the only thing really till they grow out of it
    babyspots17

Answer by babyspots17 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• First off how old is the dog? Are they spayed/neutered? These factors play a big role in determining what can help. First and foremost labs are very active sporting dogs. They need a lot of DAILY exercise in order to have a calm and happy dog. Daily walks of an hour or so will make a big difference in no time. Putting a dog in a yard to "play" does not help when it comes to calming a hyperactive mind. What are you doing to release your dog's energy everyday? We need a little more info in order to offer more specific help.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 1:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• If he/she is a puppy, then you probably need to get her outside and play with her to get rid of that energy. I have a german shepherd who's six months old. She's crazy with energy. I take her out in the yard and play fetch with her for about fifteen minutes at a time a few times a day. It works wonders!! I did it a couple of hours ago and she's sleeping like a log. Good luck!!
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Like the above posters asked, how old is the dog? If s/he is a puppy, then they are going to have a lot of energy. You have to channel it through play time, walking, etc.

I have an almost 2 year old black lab. She can still be very hyper at times, but only because she wants to play and be active. If you live in an area with good weather, go for walks. It'll be good exercise and training for the dog, and good exercise for you!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• take them hunting or swimming
    Anonymous

• It's the nature of the dog. They're geared to "go, go, go" until they run out of energy (which they have a lot of). They need loads of exercise and things to occupy them with. If they don't have a job (i.e. hunting and retrieving) you need to give them things to do. Play fetch, take them to a pond or let them swim in a pool, give them some Kong toys with treats (get the "power chewer" kind, they are the red or black color) and spend time running with them. They're awesome dogs but are meant to be physically active. They're going to be hyper, nervous and destroy stuff if you can't give them something productive to do with their time. I grew up with a lab and have two Goldens right now. They wear me out! Spaying/Neutering can also help. They also become calmer after they turn 3 years of age. We use Bark Busters (www.barkbusters.com) and they have lots of helpful tips on getting a hyper dog under control.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Your dog needs exercise. Does he/she know how to play catch? When it's cold outside, we throw our dog's toy down the hall a few times for him and he calms right down. If you can get outside, walk him. Just an idea....
    KUMom2011

Answer by KUMom2011 at 4:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Hmmm... It is a Lab... Try lot's exercise and a good trainer. Spaying or neutering can help to play is is much healthier in the long run for the dog.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• take it on two long walks
    SpiderMama123

Answer by SpiderMama123 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• holy cow do they need a lot of exercise....I have 2 lab mixes that are 5 and they have yet to calm down. and theyre 80 pounds. Very hyper dogs. My husband will run them for a mile or two and they will come back and want to play fetch. You just have to constantly give them something to do. When its warm enough I put a kiddie pool outside and throw toys in and they like that. Other than that I put them in the other room thats blocked by a baby gate so my DD can have time for her. Good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2009