why do people have to feel ashamed for being on government assistance??

i was just reading another post about people believing that EIC is like welfare, how is that like welfare? and second why does someone have to feel ashamed to get government benefits, such as food stamps, wic and others? if you are working and you still qualify for these programs and they help out your family then why should you feel ashamed for using them? you are doing the best that you can, and also there are a lot of people that work the jobs that a lot of us wouldn't so why judge them for doing the best that they can??

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 1:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Look recieveing some government aid when needed is alright.I think those you speak of just do not like to see people on the government teet most of their lives.Anyone can work hard and and wean themselves from that.Also, some states (mine does) has chairties which are not funded by the government who will lend a hand.The whole point of government aid is to get the help if it is absolutely needed and then work towards getting off.

If we give government too much power over our lives we will lose our freedoms.We also lose more and more of the private sector of business.I for one do not want my government to dictate how to live my life.That is not freedom.Our forefathers warned of giving government too much control.............that should be HEEDED.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• by the way i do receive wic and i take it so that my kids can get what they need such as milk and cheese and whatever else that they offer as long as it keeps my kids healthy that is all that matters.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• im not on any of those, but my guess would be because they are the ones fully supporting their family??
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I am on all these programs, I work a full time job, and I still struggle. Yes I am ashamed, and the only reason is because of people who look down on us. I am sorry that I don't make tons of money, I am a single mother and I need the assistance for my child. THATS why people are ashamed, because of the jerks that put us down!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• WIC is run by grant money that is why you can only get certain foods on it, because they have worked with those companies in getting grant funds for the items. Unless I am wrong about the WIC program. I am glad it is around more for the milk.

Far as EIC goes I have never seen that as a form of welfare, of course last year was the first year we got it, but all it did was knock out the amount of taxes when would paid in.
    pandermom

Answer by pandermom at 1:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• They don't need to be ashamed. There are just some kind of people who like to but people down. They don't know their story or what is going on .
    I personally don't but anybody down.
    Anonymous

• Fewer people should feel the need to do "the best they can" with so many of other people's tax dollars.

I am a taxpayer and I have the right to feel that way.
    If they can't afford kids, they shouldn't have them .
    Hard-working people fall on hard times.
    But it shouldn't be a permanent way of life.
    People in this country used to know how to sacrifice.
    Otherwise this country wouldn't even exist.
    Now, people think that if you don't have cable TV or a cell phone, that is a HUGE sacrifice.
    It's not, it's just the way life used to be.
    Perhaps people are spoiled.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:47 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• because there are many people in this world who enjoy knocking down other people and making them feel like failures. in my eyes, they are not failures if the are trying to get back on their feet, but they are hard workers to get the things their family needs.

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Mustbegrace....I think you need a reality check that life doesn't always go the way you plan it!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• I just said that hard working people fall on hard times!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't you reread it.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2009