Was our stimulus check just an early tax refund?

After so many people telling me no and the goverment saying no I was just looking on hrblock tax cut website they had a little calc program to estimate your return and it looks like our stimulus check is being deducted from our 08 taxes. Has anyone gotten their taxes done yet and see what that stimlus check did to their return? I am so irritated if it was really a early refund and not a just extra check after the irs assuring everyone it was a onetime credit that would not affect their 08 taxes.

aameliaz

Asked by aameliaz at 1:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• No that is not the way it should work. This question was just posted the other day. We did our taxes through taxslayer.com and there is just a little section where they ask if you have gotten the stimulus and how much it was. Some people did not get the correct amount when the checks went out this spring. If you got the right amount it will stay the same. If you didn't you will get the rest with your return. We are getting $600 extra with ours because we didn't get the full amount initially. It should not deduct anything. Maybe you should try the taxslayer calculator and see if it is the same as the current one you are using. It won't charge you unless you e-file with them.
    Anonymous

• Yep, that sure is how it seems. I got 1200 for my stimulus and once I plugged that in to the Taxes That's how much they deducted from my return... They just gave us an advance... I would have rathered paid income taxes on it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:47 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!! So wrong!! It was NOT an advance!! Here's what's going on SabrinaMBowen: Before you plugged in your stimulus payment you got, it was calculating how much your refund PLUS a stimulus payment would be. The reason why it's asking for the amount you got was to see if you qualify to get the stimulus (if you didn't get one in 2008 for whatever reason) and if you qualify for the Recovery Rebate Credit. Some people who did get their stimulus checks didn't get the full amount, so they may qualify for more on their tax return. So after you plugged in the amount that you got, it must of realized that you did get a payment and that you do not qualify for the Recovery Rebate Credit. Got it?

www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id+186065,00.html
    Anonymous

• nonononono........................I already did our taxes, and if you didnt get the full stimuls you get an extra amount in your refund
    aaliyahmom

Answer by aaliyahmom at 1:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• What stimulus check? sigh... I didn't even receive it.. They applied it to my amount due and viola it was gone before I saw it.. On a good note though... At least I paid my taxes!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 2:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Umm no not really. We just did ours last night and nothing was deducted, we actually had more money put in from it.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• The stimulas check should not affect anything. If the H&R *estimate* site has it affecting your refund, then their is probably a problem with the software ???
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 3:07 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I haven't done my taxes yet but I was talking to my cousin and she was saying the same thing. She has to put the stimulas check down as income on her taxes. It just goes to show there is no such thing as free money especially from the government
    tpalmer

Answer by tpalmer at 12:42 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• People you need to do your HOMEWORK. It is not a ADVANCE.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• nonononononono if u got more than you were suppose to then they are taking it back if you got less or didnt get it at all you will get it
    blackjan29

Answer by blackjan29 at 7:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2009