Don't ask don't tell?

I've heard they are thinking about removing the don't ask, don't tell policy regaurding gays in the military. What are your thoughts on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it is wrong for the fact that the gay's could be harmed. I feel like that was a way of their protection in disguise.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I think it should stay the same way. Is it really necessary to know how a person sees someone or what they do behind close doors. JMO
    pandermom

Answer by pandermom at 1:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• They have the right to serve their country.
    Anonymous

• The problem right now Pandermom is that right now if they do tell they will get kicked out of the military. I agree that their sexual orientation is no one's business but if it is told they lose their job and benefits.
    Anonymous

• Talking about how I do "it" is nobody's business and I don't care to here how anyone else does "it". There is such a thing as TMI, isn't there?
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 1:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Serving your country should not be based on your sexual orientation, color, or creed. We are all FREE men and women and serve our country freely.

TinasTribe

Answer by TinasTribe at 1:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I don't think most people understand how "don't ask, don't tell" works.

" The act prohibits any homosexual or bisexual person from disclosing his or her sexual orientation or from speaking about any homosexual relationships, including marriages or other familial attributes, while serving in the United States armed forces. The "don't ask" part of the policy indicates that superiors should not initiate investigation of a servicemember's orientation in the absence of disallowed behaviors, though mere suspicion of homosexual behavior can cause an investigation."

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:53 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• So now there would be no threat of investigation merely based on you spend your private time with.

It's a GOOD THING.
    Wimsey

• I don't know, OP, have you ever served in the military for this to matter to you or are you just stirring up drama? I served and have no problem with anyone in the military as long as they do their job to the best of their ability.
    Anonymous

• i served in the military also and we knew who was gay and who wasn't and you know what they are people too and they are doing there job and dieing for there country also. so what does it matter if they are gay.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 2:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2009