• In the Spotlight:

how many of you are having family come home after the birth?

its mine and my husbands first baby and my parents and all my friends live in town near us, his parents live about 7 hrs away, its the first grand baby on both sides. well i really just want to come home and be left alone for a week with just my baby and husband and pets. to get to know my baby,
do you think it is selffish? my mom understands and said she will come over if i need her or call but i am scared my mil will be on the next plane down, even though she said they would wait a few weeks, (last week we had a slight scare i had high blood pressure and had to go to hosptial for like an hour) and she called my mom and was like i can be on a plane tonight! ugh i really dont want that... the most i want the first few weeks is a few stop bys for like 10-30 mins tops from friends that wanna see her.. any way enough venting what did you do? have family staying over night? or go it alone?

melis1029

Asked by melis1029 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• nope...i say go it alone so you can bond...tell everyone to back off! Good luck!
    ljliammama

Answer by ljliammama at 1:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• even if she does come down, she can always get a hotel so that you have your alone time when you want it still...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Stick to your guns. If she shows up have your husband give her the address of a nearby hotel and tell her he will call her to come over when you are ready.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• tell them to wait. i hated company. omg i hated it. My hubbys friends came over within an hour of getting home and stayed for HOURS. i was piiiisseedddd. i was a new mom, trying to figure out breastfeeding, wanting all my hubbys attention and help and i had to go into my room and do it all alone while he entertained. err still makes me mad 10 months later thinking about it lol
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• i made everyone wait. the last thing I wanted was a housefull of people. No, it's not selfish you and your dh are going to need time to bond with your baby. The first few weeks are crazy enough without having a bunch of other people to worry about. Not to mention you're probably not going to be feeling all that great anyway.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I was totally alone. No mom, no mil, no sisters or friends.
    Anonymous

• i wish i could have all my family here they all live over 800 miles away from me and it sucks so much i have a 5yr old and most have only seen her once others twice and one on the way and who knows when they will get too see the new baby be thankful you have family that loves you enough too get on that plane my dad's plasma tv was more important too him then me and his granddaughter
    Anonymous

• My mil and fil wanted to come for the weekend since I'll be a week overdue just in case I go into labor and their house is a 1/2-3/4 hr drive away. I said thanks but no thanks. I know they'll be in the hospital within an hour or two of me giving birth.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 2:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I think you should stick to your guns. People visited in the hospital but after we got home it was just us 3 for a little bit.. we wanted it that way! It's not selfish at all, they can wait a week. You need to express your wishes and warn them that if they show up unexpected they can stay in a hotel and visit at very short increments each day, so it would be a waste of a trip.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:07 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• i think family is great, i did it all alone also and i wanted to do it all alone, but i still wanted company to come over in the day and visit i love visitors and having a baby didnt change that, he changed alot of things in my life, but he didnt make me a hermat crab thats for sure.
    Anonymous