Have you ever been in mixed company and someone makes a racist remark...

and they don't know that either you or a close family member is THAT ethnicity?

My neighbor made a remark about the "taco eaters" next door. I held my tongue. My husband is half Mexican but looks totally white.
I figure you can't fix stupid

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 9:47 AM on May. 16, 2012 in Relationships

• I probably would have said,, well my hispanic husband makes the best tacos I have ever tasted,,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:56 AM on May. 16, 2012

• i've been in company of someone who made racist remarks about native americans, then added, ''..right, Lisa?"
    i was so shocked, and the fact i was only a teen, and this was a friend's SM (that was a bitch, anyway), so i didn't come back with what i was thinking...or hardly with what i would now, at 43.
    now, when i see her face, which isn't often but does appear in this friends FB photos from time to time, i want to punch her. it still makes me mad.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:51 AM on May. 16, 2012

• All the time , I would of said to your neighbor " what about us, we loveeee tacos" lol
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 9:48 AM on May. 16, 2012

• totally offtopic, but now i'll i can hear is the cheerleaders from SNL..''taco! burrito! what's coming out of your speedo? you got troubles, whooo! you're blowin' bubbles!"
    LOL!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:03 AM on May. 16, 2012

• "taco eaters" really?! lol, that is a new 'racist slur' to me, and also terribly stupid because LOTS of people eat Tacos, not just Mexicans or Hispanics! I like Kimi's answer though lol
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 10:16 AM on May. 16, 2012

• All the time, for the most part I just ignore it. If it isn't down right bigoted I find it's easier to just leave it alone.

On a side note my sister was out with a few of her kids, they are half black and half white. This older man comes up to her and ask's if she is babysitting. She replies with "No, they are mine". He looks at her and says "You know they are the wrong race right?". She just laughed at him, he son got defensive but she told her son that you can't change stupid so there was not reason to get mad. I'd have punched personally.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:33 AM on May. 16, 2012

• We all have. My response is determined by the comment, company, and of course MMOTD.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:15 AM on May. 16, 2012

• It never fails I hear black jokes while at our big family Christmas parties.

I find it just easier to ignore and walk away. One cousin disowned his son for adopting a black child, so I know it'd be a losing battle even trying to tell them how inappropriate it is.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:22 AM on May. 16, 2012

• All the time. Same situation as yours here and I am in the south.

Answer by gemgem at 11:11 AM on May. 16, 2012

• Yes. Everyone thinks I'm white but I'm actually Mexican. I worked at a doctors office and if a hispanic showed their Medicaid card they would say, "Stupid Wet Back, close your legs and stop having babies". And I know for a fact that they would not hire black people because "they steal and are lazy". I'm so glad I don't work there anymore.
    themodestgal

Answer by themodestgal at 12:01 PM on May. 16, 2012