Trying to lower grocery bill

I am trying to make out my grocery list. Also trying to save. I was going to make a couple meals here and there that are meatless. DH gets pissed because i'm doing that. I never make a single meal with meat, never. Then he gets pissed because I'm spending so much on groceries. WTH. Sorry, vent over.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on May. 16, 2012 in Money & Work

• buy generic- I buy almost everything store brand
    make him go with you and help you pick the food-that way he can see exactly how much things cost

my hubby bitches about how much we spend on food and yet wants his meat every night as well. He deals with it though- mostly he bitches about how much the teens eat
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:16 AM on May. 16, 2012

• Suggest to him that he be in charge of the shopping to make sure it falls within the budget. You will cook whatever he brings home.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:17 AM on May. 16, 2012

• I already buy generic. I shop at Aldi's, just trying to see if I could cut it any lower.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:26 AM on May. 16, 2012

• Start out small and build up. Talk to the butcher to find out what time of day they mark down meat. There is nothing wrong as long as you either cook it right away or freeze it as soon as you get home. It's often marked down 50%. If you saved up the money and had a freezer I would recommend buying 1/4-1/2 a beef. The cost is usually about $2.00 - $3.00 per pound which is a big savings over what you pay per package. You can also use this same freezer to freeze strawberries and other produce when it comes in season. It may mean putting out more money up front but over a years time it saves money.

We're lucky in that we butcher our own meat and have our own garden. You might also talk to anyone in your area about picking their "left overs" when they're done canning everything they want.

I also stock up on other items. Toliet paper at a good deal one week may mean I buy 2 instead of 1. Same with other foods, shampoo, etc.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:31 AM on May. 16, 2012

• Dh complains about the bill (bc we spend about $400--includong all baby stuff and non-grocery
    initially and another $100 or so stocking back up on drinks and snacks mid month--a lot being fresh fruit). He's just learned to deal. He's not single anymore. Prices of stuff have gone up since the last time he grocery shopped 5 years ago. Lol I don't blame you for doing meatless meals..dh is really the only one who eats meat around our house..I split a small piece of chicken with dd. We buy frozen veggies since they a) are cheaper and b) actually last the entire month. I've heard to make everything from scratch but it doesn't seem to save me anything. Store brand is a good thing too.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 10:32 AM on May. 16, 2012

• More beans and rice. Less everything else. Buy cheap cuts of meat and only when on sale.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 10:50 AM on May. 16, 2012

• making Everything from scratch is not always cheaper, but it will help cut down on the food bill. Things like bread, cakes etc.
    Adding pinto beans to meat helps a lot.
    For instance if you are having tacos, mixing refried beans in with apr. one pound of burger really stretches it. (I can feed 5 by doing this)

Homemade Hotpockets (pasties) is a great way to cut on the meat bill also because you need so little.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:53 AM on May. 16, 2012

• Buy cheap and use coupons :)
    USMCWifey2011

Answer by USMCWifey2011 at 12:13 PM on May. 16, 2012

• I agree with all of the above, esp. the buy beans and rice in bulk. You can always add a meat to either one of those.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:36 PM on May. 16, 2012

• Great ideas, ladies! I learned a lot just reading this thread.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 10:40 PM on May. 16, 2012