What can I substitute?

I have a recipe that calls for dijon mustard, but I only have plain yellow mustard (and also mustard powder). I can't go out b/c of the weather. Can I "make" dijon mustard?

PSMother

Asked by PSMother at 2:07 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Do you have some horseradish (sp?)?
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 2:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Depends on the recipe, but if it's a small part of a larger recipe just sub out regular mustard.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 2:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Unfortunately I do not have horseradish either. And the recipe calls for mixing some dijon with lemon juice, coating pork chops, then dredging in Italian crumbs before baking. Doesn't that sound good?
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 2:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Do you have any brown spicy mustard, Stoneground mustard or honey -mustard? I would think all of those might make a good sustitution.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• It does sound good. I'd do half yellow mustard, half mayonnaise (because that's a chicken recipe I have and it "seals in" the chicken's juiciness, so it'd probably work on pork, too), skipping the lemon and straight on to the breadcrumbs.

At least, that's what I'd do (and will, next time I have pork chops and no plan for them! lol thanks for the idea!).
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 2:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2009