I need help! My 10 month old won't listen...

He knows what NO means. He used to listen to it. But it doesn't matter if I get loud with it or smack his bottom or hands. He laughs. Yes, He LAUGHS. He thinks its funny. He sometimes "cries" when I smack his butt or hands but most of the time he doesn't. How do I discipline a 10 month old?

(And don't tell me not to spank, I do and I will- I don't see anything wrong with it as long as your calm when you do it and don't cause harm )

krazyash023

Asked by krazyash023 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lol you sound like me. When dd was that old I started having the same problem and everyone told me she was still way to young to understand 'no'. BULL! It sounds like he is testing you. Him laughing makes me think that he is seeing it as a game. So try a different approach. Be very consistent with him. When he does something he shouldn't be, take his hands and say no. Get down on your knees so that you are eye level with him and tell him why he can't do that. Direct him towards something he can do. GL hun.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I can't help you. He's ten months old not two and he wont take you seriously with the spanking, or hitting. That approach obviously isn't working... so you may need to try something else like positive reinforcement or redirecting.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• 10 months old is too young to really expect any type of discipline to work....
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• the thing is his pediatrican told me he acts like a toddler already and said he doesn't act like an infant and its very true. And it worked for a few weeks and all of a sudden its not. So I know he is ready. All babies devolop differently...
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• thanks lilbit that was good avice!! :) I appreciate it!!!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• girl, at 10 months my son was the most wonderful kid ever. he listened when i said no, i didn't have to pop his butt that much...he was great! it was hard work to get him like that, alot of hand and butt popping and he got it. daddy deployed about a month ago and he for the first time had a temper tantrum, bit his sister, doesn't listen to the word no, but has no problem saying it to me...uuggghhh!! i'm with you only with an older one! i hate how he's taking it out...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• WHY are you smacking a 10 month old?

Get a GRIP. He's a BABY.

We smack our three year old - but a baby? That's a bit much. Redirection will work, just be consistent.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Mine is 9 mths old and is responding well to "no" at the moment. Everything I've read basically says that they don't really know discipline yet BUT if you keep consistent, they will figure it out soon. He may do thinks because it gets extra attention from you, even if that attention is in the form of a "no."
    lauralii99

Answer by lauralii99 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• At only 10 months old his mind is developed to know what "no" means children learn by seeing what other people do as far as if some one does something that is fun and makes them laugh they want to do it. If they are doing something that could hurt them such as trying to open the toy box or something that could fall down on them and hurt them, they don't know, what I always did with my daughter was let her feel it by gently shutting the lid or gently smashing her fingers so that she could see that if mommy did it lightly and it kinda hurt that she didn't like it and usually left it alone. Now if she messed with the remote or phone and needed to learn to leave it alone I would put her in the corner and hold the remote or phone and no no and stayed consistant with putting her in the corner she didn't like it and soon realized she didn't like playing with those things so much.
    redneckmom03

Answer by redneckmom03 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• For the ones telling me redirection, that does not work. I have a strong willed child. I tell him no and put him somewhere else he goes right back to what he was doing. I tell him no and leave the room he WATCHES me until he cant see me and does it again. He's very smart and knows what NO means.

Don't tell me to get a grip, wimsey. If you haven't met my son, and see how he acts, then don't tell me to get a freaking grip. I have discussed this with my mother, and she agrees that its okay. Like I said I don't BEAT my child, I use it as discipline and he understands. But is testing me. The first week i was swatting his bottom he listened right away. But now he is used to it and it doesn't phase him. BUT HE KNOWS BECAUSE IT HAS WORKED BEFORE.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 2:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2009