Mommies in Oklahoma near Oklahoma City!

Im moving there in the fall and was wonder were to look for houses and were not to. Back when we lived out there before we lived in Pauls Valley and never went to the city except for work. So I was wondering wheres the good parts of town and were are the bad parts of town. Also which surrounding city's are good to raise a 5yr old and a newborn in <3 I know it sound bad but im just talking about people in the neighborhood I know there's bad sides to every city/area. I want to get my son into a good elementary school whall staying near Oklahoma City for work.

LostInMyMind

Asked by LostInMyMind at 5:03 PM on May. 16, 2012 in Travel

• i grew up in Del City and went to OKC public schools, then Del City public schools. as you said, there are good/bad parts/neighborhoods everywhere. DC/MWC will have more military families, since Tinker AFB is there..lots of good neighborhoods to choose from. you can always move, if you only sign a 6mo lease.
    you could check Moore..its seems to have good areas, too. Edmond is nice, too...richer.
    you need to narrow down the school districts/schools, then go with that area of town.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:11 PM on May. 16, 2012

• Thanks <3
    LostInMyMind

Comment by LostInMyMind (original poster) at 5:16 PM on May. 16, 2012

• I would just avoid the south side of OKC. Edmond and Moore are good like dull said. I live in Mustang and it's really nice, kind of has a small town vibe to it, but it's about 25-30 minutes away from OKC
    Conmom456

Answer by Conmom456 at 6:01 PM on May. 16, 2012

• 25min commute not bad thanks! :)
    LostInMyMind

Comment by LostInMyMind (original poster) at 10:40 PM on May. 16, 2012

• Is Spencer, Oklahoma nice I found a 4bed 2 bath 550 a month rent to own was wondering if its nice there?
    LostInMyMind

Comment by LostInMyMind (original poster) at 1:52 AM on May. 17, 2012

• like the others have said the outskirts of the city are best for families. i live in Edmond and it was recently nominated one of the best suburbs to live in in America (http://www.cnbc.com/id/44347217/10_Perfect_Suburbs?slide=11). it is more expensive, less house for the money, but its worth it b/c the schools are the best in the state. im about to enter the teaching field and the best schools are also in the burbs: Moore, Norman, Edmond, Putnum City (a school district of OKC, not an actual city haha), and parts of the Midwest/Del City (closest to the Air Force base) are best. 

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:38 PM on May. 20, 2012

• there is a square made by I-40, I-235, and I-44 (Capital Hill area) and the area from Lincoln Blvd to MLK Ave (around the Capital building) that you should not move into...most of the crime happens in these neighborhoods and the schools are the worst...well the high schools b/c thats what i look at for teaching.

ive never been to Spencer but from what DH has told me (he use to work with children in the system) it isnt one of the better places in the metro...but it really just depends on where you look. the whole metro has this "really nice area that quickly turns into a crummy area" issue. if you have anymore questions feel free to ask!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:39 PM on May. 20, 2012