I don't know how to answer her

we were walking home from the library and we have to cut down several side streets to get home.
my 10 and 7yr saw kids from their classes (both girls and boys) and they were lying in the middle of the street and jumping on and off their neighbors cars. a car had to hit his breaks and almost smashed into a parked car because of the ones lying in the street. they both asked me a question that i want to answer, but i want a nice way to put it so i'm asking you guys
their question:
why does their parents let them act like this?
the girls were asking about the parents' role not what the kids were doing. there were no parents outside.

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 5:43 PM on May. 16, 2012 in General Parenting

• I would say "We can't be responsible for how other parents raise their children. I am responsible for how I raise you and that is all"

It is my opinion that your children spend an inordinate amount of time judging other children. My advice would be for you and your husband to limit your disdain for all other parents in front of them.

In this case, the children are clearly putting themselves in harm's way. I would suggest that you contact law enforcement.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 5:48 PM on May. 16, 2012

• My honest answer would be " I don't know honey, but I won't be letting you do anything like that." Then call the cops because those kids are putting themselves and the drivers in danger.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 6:08 PM on May. 16, 2012

• The truth. 'I don't know- I guess you are very lucky that your mom is able to watch over you and teach you how to be safe'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:45 PM on May. 16, 2012

• You answer them truthfully. Tell them you really don't know why the parents allow this behavior but that it is irresponsible of them not to know where there children are and what they are doing since they are endangering their own lives and the lives of other people.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:45 PM on May. 16, 2012

• I say perhaps their parents don't have the luxury of watching over them every minute. Then I stress that DD is blessed with two parents and grandparents in her home and that we have the resources to keep a close eye on her.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 6:02 PM on May. 16, 2012

• You know, just because something is the truth doesn't mean it should automatically be blurted out to young children.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 6:00 PM on May. 16, 2012

• I have a question for you... If you saw this why didnt YOU step in and tell the girls not to do that.

I think I would have stepped in and reprimanded complete strangers kids if I saw them doing something THAT DANGEROUS.

Anonymous

• I hope that you called 911!

Answer by rkoloms at 4:26 PM on May. 17, 2012

• I tell my kids because their parents don't care about them and probably think the kid was a big mistake. It's the truth. Parents that care about their kids do not allow them to act like that.
    themodestgal

Answer by themodestgal at 5:58 PM on May. 16, 2012