How is the best way to deal with a very energetic boy?

He doesn't have ADD, but cannot stay still for a long period of time. He's academic skills are great, above the average even. However he keeps bringing notes from school about his behavior. He is only in kindergarten.

tuquinha

Asked by tuquinha at 2:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son is the same way I have no idea i am also looking foor answers on this
    armywife00mom02

Answer by armywife00mom02 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• get your son active in sports! I would also have him run around and play outside for a few hours after school
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 3:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• You honestly, have to RUN him around. I have two boys and we literally run them through and around the park before and after school. It's just being a boy. Don't give him sugary cereals in the morning before school. This child just needs to release the energy, that's it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Trust me, I run him down a lot, but I might need to do more often. Thank you for the tip on the sugar in the morning, never occurred me that, :-)
    tuquinha

Answer by tuquinha at 5:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I have noticed that the busier that my son is the better he tends to focus and concentrate. This past summer he was in camp, tennis lessons, and swim lessons,plus going to the park and biking. He was so worn out at the end of the day that he would go to bed early some nights. I have heard also that boys tend to have a harder time concentrating in preschool/ kindergarten/ first grade. good luck!
    cjsmom734

Answer by cjsmom734 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My son is the same way. He does well in school but his teacher and I keep a journal in his folder so I know if he's had a good day or not. He's not a "bad" kid, just full of energy. When he has a not so good day at school he'll have consequences at home as well as in school. Then it's an absolute must for him to be able to run around. Weather permitting, we always hang out at the park after school so he can run. we come home, do homework and sometimes we'll take the kids to the park yet again so he can play some more.

This is what works for us. He still has not so good days but he's getting better.
    InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 1:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• all of my children are extremely active. i still havent found a way to really deal with it but outside time helps a lot when we are home.
    jenkent

Answer by jenkent at 2:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2009