When are toddlers supposed to start pre-school??

I stay at home with my 3 1/2 yr old twins. I was just wondering when do they need to start going to pre-school. I'm a little scared to send them b/c they are really not speaking in "simple complete sentences." They know alot of words but just cannot put them together but they can show you what they are talking about. I was working full-time around the time when they would start speaking words (like 2 yr old) and they would stay with the babysitter who is Hispanic (she is my husband's sister-in-law) while I worked (did this for a year). My pedi told me that it probably "messed them up" hearing Spanish during the day and English at home. Now that I am at home with them, they are saying more things but I'm still a little scared.

HELP!!! I would like to know everyone's opinion. :)

Mom-plus-five

Asked by Mom-plus-five at 2:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• public schools start at 4. some private/personal /chain organizations start at 2.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Well they don't NEED preschool. You are very capable of teaching them yourself. I don't think before 4 though and if you want them to go find a half day preschool (in my mind it's the best).
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• They will probably benefit greatly from preschool - talking to the teachers and other kids, telling you all about their day afterward.

Some parents put their children in preschool at 3, some 4, some never do.
    Some choose half days, some full days. Some choose just a couple days a week, some everyday. Some choose preschools that expect the parents to help out now and then, some choose schools that expect the parents to just leave.

Think about what you and your children will be most comfortable with. Remember, they have 13 years of school ahead of them so if you decide to tack on a 14th year, make it a fun, low stress year so they enjoy school.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My daughter will start pre-school in August, she will be 3. She will take 2 years of pre-school. The school in the small town we live in offers it for free.
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 2:46 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I have had this same question lately but my 31/2 year old is probaly going to be my last baby so I chose to wait until next school season starts .He will be 4 1/2 but I feel like it's that extra one on one that we get .After all they will have 12 or more years of school,right .But as far as social interaction maybe just go to play times or have friends over once a week atleast maybe.No matter what it's completely your decision ofcourse.
    hopingmom

Answer by hopingmom at 2:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Well here they have to be three by August 31st and potty trained. I don't see anything wrong with preschool. It's only two days a week here and two hours a day. I wanted my children to have some interaction with other kids before entering kindergarten. Both of my sons really enjoyed it and I believe it boosted their self esteem too. They don't go there just to play. Yeah we are capable of teaching our own children, but why not let them have friends and be social instead of with mommy or daddy all day?
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• i am a preschool teacher and mom of 3. The choice to send them to preschool is yours. I would recommend at least a 1/2 day 3 times a week. This will help them with social skills, communication, independence (it's hard to think you are letting go this early, but it's baby steps ;D). You will be amazed at how much they will flurish after just one month!
    Anonymous

• four
    SpiderMama123

Answer by SpiderMama123 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• You can send them as young as age 2, or the year before they start kindergarten. My trouble is, I have a child who isn't potty trained and we can't take him to preschool til he is... he flat out refuses.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 7:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My son started public school at 3yrs old. They have a program for 3yr olds here and I think it's great. Now my daughter started at 4 due to the fact that she was not potty trained at 3
    happymommieto4

Answer by happymommieto4 at 7:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2009