Is 600 mil. for new govt cars, energy efficient ones, a good or bad thing?

I can understand the energy efficiency issue, but can't we just replace the cars when they need to be replaced, rather than a whole bunch at one time. Is this supposed to help the auto industry?

akinbottom2

Asked by akinbottom2 at 2:46 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Personally, I think that IF this is suppose to help create or sustain jobs-not good. Because what happens after these orders are completed? That doesn't spell LONG TERM employment to me.

I think the 600 mil. is too much. Maybe some-where NEEDED-but 600mil?
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I think if they wanted to change things to energy efficient then thats fine but it isnt going to help anyone unless consumers can afford the cars too. The govt will be driving them but it doesnt mean regular everyday people are going to get them. I agree with jenn, when the orders are complete itll leave a gaping hole for those making them.

Answer by gemgem at 2:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I don't know why they aren't buying a bunch of GM / Ford / Chrysler cars. Instead of bailing out the auto industry, they should have just bought the damned cars from them.
    What are they doing with the old government cars? Are they going to sell those, or will they just be 'given' away as tokens of appreciation?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• what if consumers can not afford these cars then what happens?
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 3:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• a good one. It helps the environment and stimulate the economy.
    Anonymous

• FYI: the vast majority of american made cars are manufactured in mexico.
    they are only assembled here in america.

will these energy efficient cars be any different? i hope so but i doubt it.

mssundin, i think the idea is that if everyone makes them then they will be more affordable.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Good. As its own separate issue, it's hypocritical for the government to preach green living while its own fleet vehicles get 12 mpg. It also saves money and has the added impact of providing job security for the parts and mfg divisions of companies that supply them, so they don't get phased out. The Hummer plant is here - it is only government/int'l orders for H1's that are keeping the people in that plant employed. There are a dozen other businesses here that make parts for H1's and RV's. It is the H1 orders that are keeping them from shutting down completely because the RV orders are gone. Also, most gov't vehicles wear out fast because they are in use all day. It's only certain people who get private cars to just sit there all day.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• my guess is because the cars they have now are driven a lot...especially if you're a recruiter. Therefore, these new cars would lessen the amount of gas used therefore causing less money to be spent on gas.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 4:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• NotPanicking, you took the words right out of my mouth. It's kinda hard to preach "Green living" after everyone sees you hop into a Hummer.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 4:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• QuinnMae I don't know why they aren't buying a bunch of GM / Ford / Chrysler cars. Instead of bailing out the auto industry, they should have just bought the damned cars from them

EXCELLENT point Quinn!!!!

high five

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2009