Do we need budget cuts to help our country's financial situation?

I think this is where a lot of people on opposite sides of the aisle start to disagree and this seems to be the hill to die on.

I believe that we need serious cuts.  That's not to say that we won't eventually need to increase taxes, but shouldn't the government show some restraint and responsibility where they have failed miserably to get us into this mess?  

(please note, this isn't a tit for tat blame thing since it's several administrations that have gotten us where we are today)

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 10:38 PM on May. 16, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• But of course, we need cuts! BIG ones! There are departments that can be and should be eliminated, as well.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:42 PM on May. 16, 2012

• Ya we need more tax increases like we need another 4 yrs of Obama, or have a flesh eating disease. If the folks in up there on Capital Hill
    would all take a 15% pay cut, use their money to fill up their cars, handcuff Obama's hands and tear up the credit cards, stop the studies on studies, stop giving money to countries that hate us. Stop giving money to other counties to give their citizens access to go to college on our tab so they can get a masters degrees. Stop financing the investigations into "climate change", it weather, it changes. Its Mother Nature, its a woman.....enough said! lol
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:42 PM on May. 16, 2012

• Big time. Just leave the ones like Medicare/SS/VA benefits alone. We are paying into them and I want them when I am of age. There are a lot of positions in the govt that can be eliminated and I haven't seen one worthy of a six figure salary in ages. Eliminate the good ole boys club and let's get what we pay for with these elected numbnuts.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:46 PM on May. 16, 2012

• What will increasing taxes gonna do? Our economy sucks, we already have the highest corporate taxes in the world, all the increase will do is hurt the struggling people who are trying to make ends meet. And they are one disaster away from losing everything. I know Obama is NOT the blame of the situation we are facing today. But his the BLAME of things being worse. He will forever be known as the first president to get the credit rating downgraded from the AAA to AA+ after 70+ plus years ofit being at AAA. Now we all have to watch and wait to see what Greece is gonna do with their fucked up economy and if they are gonna default on their loans.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:51 PM on May. 16, 2012

• Oh, and people need to stop expecting the government to provide for them. The government is not responsible for the welfare of able-bodied men and women. We are supposed to be the most resourceful, independent, free-thinking people on the planet. We need to stop expecting the government to coddle us, and we need to be willing to take care of ourselves. Please don't ask me "How?" Grow a brain. People survived the Great Depression. We managed the Western Expansion. We did all sorts of things without government welfare. It's a trap, not a help.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:12 AM on May. 17, 2012

• Not just budget cuts, but also STOP the spending as well.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 3:02 AM on May. 17, 2012

• Yes. We need significant budget cuts. Taxes will also have to go up, but we need to see a real commitment to containing costs.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 10:41 PM on May. 16, 2012

• I think so...meanwhile pay has been frozen and all my bills have gone up, some 30 percent and have every year for the last five. You can't squeeze blood from a stone, the people just DO NOT have it.
    Anonymous

• It's budgetting 101. First, you cut ALL unnecessary spending, necessary being defined as "you must have this to survive". Second, you cut the budget to the bone by eliminating everything that you can. A common example would be TV service. If you deem that a need, you have the basic package, not the 500-channel package. Many of us would not even deem TV a need. Then, and only then, you look to finding ways to bring in more money.

The government must show me that they will not squander any tax increase by first decreasing spending, cutting unnecessary programs/departments, and living within their means. Then they must commit any tax increase toward debt reduction only before I will be willing to consider a tax increase. I'm disgusted with the wastefulness and carelessness they continue to show with our money.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:05 AM on May. 17, 2012

• LOL, Quinn. You know this is one of my soapbox issues.

Anon, none of us are saying 'don't raise taxes'. We understand that needs to happen. We're saying that we expect the government to do other things first, things that demonstrate responsibility. We want them to stop wasting our money. We want to work on paying down the debt, on being more fiscally responsible. After they can show us that they won't waste our money, that they can live within their means, then most of us will be open to the idea of taxes specifically for paying down the debt.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 12:16 PM on May. 17, 2012