Breast feeding

So I love being the only one to feed my daughter... and the idea of other people doing it kinda makes me jealous.. but i'm like 2 and a half weeks in and completely ready to give up because my nipples hurt so freaking bad.. but the pump i have doesn't hurt as much so i was wondering how soon the other breast feeding mommas went before introducing a bottle.. and how did it turn out?

Jan0609momma

Asked by Jan0609momma at 2:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you don't wanna pump so soon if you don't absolutely have to. if your latch is correct, the pain should go away by the 6th week tops. i remember how bad it hurt & i just wanted to pump. but it really won't help. you're getting through the hardest part. don't risk your supply or give yourself more work with pumping. if you really need that break, try a slow flow breast shaped bottle. as for pain, there's nipple cream & soothies at babiesrus or target. you can also shred some iced carrots & leave them in your bra for about 20min. you can do this. the early pain is normal.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• We gave her a bottle the first night she was home from the hospital. My milk hadn't come in yet, and she was hungry. We never really had trouble. SOMETIMES she'll reject the bottle to nurse (She's 8 mo old) but that's rare.

I think you should have someone else feed her the first few bottles, so she doesn't get confused. Choose one that has a similar shape to your nipple. I like the gerber bottles (w/ the blue lid).
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 3:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• When my DD was 2w/o, I got Shingles! On my back, side, and right effing Breast!! So I couldn't nurse her on that side...had to pump an she got 1/2 her meals second hand from a bottle.

First, have you seen an LC? Because your nips shouldn't hurt...you might not have a proper latch.

Second, every baby is different. Get a couple different nipples and find one your kid prefers.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• you can also contact your local la leche league to discuss possible latch issues that might be leading to the soreness/pain in your nipples.

i know LLL recommends waiting at least 6 weeks before introducing a bottle because it can cause confusion or supply issues. now of course that doesn't mean all women who introduce prior to that have those issues come up.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• get Dr. Jack Newman's all purpose nipple cream! (long name) my OB prescribed it after 6 weeks of terrible pain and no infections or blocked ducts. I used for less than a day and then it never hurt again!
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 3:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• oh and sometimes it just hurts even if you aren't doing anything wrong. The LC told me my baby was latched on correctly and like I said, no infections or blocked ducts... it just happens to some women. Just because it hurts doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 3:13 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• They also make nipp le guards, I have used them until mine felt better. Good luck!
    jspy72

Answer by jspy72 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2009