Is there anything crafty other than curtains I can do with sheer materials?

I have a ton of sheer fabric from old curtains and shirts that I want to repurpose. Does anyone have ideas?

CillaTexas

Asked by CillaTexas at 3:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Dress up costume. Hair bows, headbands, bows on slippers/blankets/shirts/ect, making greeting cards, overlay to a quilt block, use the fabric to make a cloth doll or doll clothing, Cut into strips and knit or crochet with them, make a bag holder or potpourri sachet. If you don't like any of these ideas, let me know. lol. I have a million. Nothing goes to waste in my house!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 3:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Table cloth,couch/seat covers?
    Or like in the sound of music outfits...lol
    Baby1114

Answer by Baby1114 at 3:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Pretty little outfits for stuffed animals- little wedding dresses, party dresses. If you have a little girl or a niece, you can make some party dresses or skirts for them. How about a table covering. Sheer would work well over a solid cloth. I saw on Clean House a toy storage unit that hung from the ceiling. It was made of sheer cloth- kind of hard to explain- 4 sided square and from ceiling to floor, and every foot or so was a piece of fabric sewn across to make compartments, and holes along one side from ceiling to floor for toys to be put in and taken out. This looked so neat and held a lot of toys.

Answer by Bmat at 3:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Umm... A comforter or duvet cover type thing w/ pillow shams... You could get some solid material & lay the sheer over it for prettiness. IDK if I would use sheer for a couch or something you sit on... sheer fabric is usually slippery LOL.
    I like navy-wife's idea of dress up clothes, hair bows, or doll clothes. Izzy & Tori would probably like those too :)
    Potpourri sachets are a good idea too. All you would have to buy would be a little ribbon to drawstring it with.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 3:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• If any of the old curtain pieces are long enough - canopies over your daughters' beds. If they aren't very long, you can still do fake canopies. Take two long pieces, tack one end of each to the wall several feet above the head of the bed, drape the other ends to the corners of the head of the bed and hook them there. Decorate with ribbow bows.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Wasn't there a post on CM awhile ago on how to make tutus? That would be cute for the girls.
    Inle_Rabbit

Answer by Inle_Rabbit at 6:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Yea, I might make them a little outfit...but that would take approxamitly 1/4 of the fabric. I really like the idea of doing a bed canapoy. That way I wouldn't have to cut them up, and can use them as curtains when they girls get their own room again...
    CillaTexas

Answer by CillaTexas at 6:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Creacy made Lily a cute lil tutu a few months back... The post is still in her journals, I think, but I can't remember if she gave instructions or not.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 6:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Make a canopy for a girls bed or a canopy for the back yard to sheild from the sun.
    coke2pep

Answer by coke2pep at 9:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I want some of your material, please? I want to make my daughter a hide away like they have in the Hearthsong catalog. Go to that web site and check them out! Thats what I would do with that material. Tu Tuus are a good thing to make with that too!
    pinkcalla721

Answer by pinkcalla721 at 11:46 PM on Jan. 28, 2009