anyone having problems nursing? protein allergy? Non dairy diet?

I have a 4 week old and had no problem nursing until 2 week ago. My daughter had a lil bit of blood in her stool so I brought her to the dr and it was decided that she was allergic to the protein in my milk? Has anyone had this? I am on a strict diet of no dairy not even soy since then and I do not see a significant change in her? Could it be something else? When I go to nurse her she also just started shaking her head back and forth and pulling and tugging...Is this just normal behavior for this age? Any advice, help would be great!!!

chacha13

Asked by chacha13 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to find a different doctor. IT IS 100% IMPOSSIBLE FOR A BABY TO BE ALLERGIC TO YOUR MILK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your baby can, however, be allergic to something that you are eating. Try sticking to a bland diet of things like plain chicken breast, potatoes or brown rice, and non gassy low allergen veggies.
    http://www.drgreene.com/21_1604.html
    That site pretty well explains what could be causing the problem.
    The pulling and tugging sounds like you aren't putting her to the breast until she is TOO hungry. Try offering to feed her every hour. DON'T STOP NURSING! Breastmilk is the BEST for your baby. That doctor was an idiot. Like I said, NO baby can be allergic to YOUR milk, only the things you eat. If anyone says otherwise, they are just using it as an excuse.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 3:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2009