Desert living

anyone live in the desert regions? any areas have mountains nearby? what do you like most? least? We live in south georgia and have been discussing moving once we pay off our mortgage. I'm from northern nj and am a bear country girl so being near mountains is important to me. But we'd think being near desert would be different. South georgia is all valley. I love the spanish moss and swamps, but i'm ready for a chage after 9 years lol

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 11:52 AM on May. 17, 2012 in Travel

• I live in Colorado. We are semi-arid, with some areas, mostly the Western part of the state being high desert. It's gorgeous and there are few other places that I would live. And, of course, we have the Colorado Rocky Mountains.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:15 PM on May. 17, 2012

• We also have gorgeous sunsets.

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:58 PM on May. 17, 2012

• We have friends that live in the High Desert in California (Victorville). It's not for me, it's too dry, and too hot. It's also really expensive to live there.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:54 AM on May. 17, 2012

• We live in the high desert region of Idaho along the Snake River plain. . Wide open plains surrounded by mountains. Because it's a mountainous region we only have about a week during the summer when the temps get over 100 degrees. It's small town living, wild and very outdoorsy.

Here is a starting point for information:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_River_Plain_%28ecoregion%29
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:05 PM on May. 17, 2012

• ........where is there a desert in the midwest!?
    Anonymous

• I live in the southwest where it's dry and hot during the summer.

I don't believe that there's desert land in the midwest.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:43 PM on May. 17, 2012

• "........where is there a desert in the midwest!?"

This.

I grew up in El Paso, TX which is the desert southwest. I wouldn't recommend that area but there are some lovely places in New Mexico and Arizona.

Be prepared for very dry heat, wind/dust storms, very long hot seasons and the occasional scorpion
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 12:45 PM on May. 17, 2012

• Desert mountains are very different from "bear country" NJ mountains...
    Anonymous

• I live in Las Vegas, which is a desert surrounded by mountains. I moved here from the Midwest in 2005, and I really love it here. I love the warmth, the dry air, the sunny days. It's almost always sunny here. There's no humidity, no snow, no mosquitoes. Everything thing here seems easier than it was in the Midwest, EXCEPT as Brawn pointed out, the occasional scorpion. Oh, and we have no state income tax here in NV.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:56 PM on May. 17, 2012

• we were thinking more midwest. Definately avoiding the other coast. We are too east coast by heart. Plus all my family minus my sister is east coast and I'd be way too home sick. My sister moved to oregon. Too far a move for me.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 12:01 PM on May. 17, 2012