Speaking of coupons, why do rich people use them?

It has baffled me for years. I'm at the checkout at the grocery store and I get stuck behind some person who apparently is wealthy, raising hell about saving a dime, holding up the line. Then I see them in the parking lot in their top of the line car. It irritates me. Like, DID YOU REALLY HAVE TO BE SO RUDE TO THE TELLER for a dime Richie Rich??

I've seen doctors at Supercuts using coupons and not leaving a tip.

I've witnesses this so often and I don't get it.

themodestgal

Asked by themodestgal at 1:38 PM on May. 17, 2012 in Money & Work

• Unfortunately, that's partly why they are rich, because they're stingy. They spend less than they make.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:21 PM on May. 17, 2012

• How do people get rich? By pinching their pennies! My parents are very wealthy but my mom never pays full price for anything. She got where she is by clipping coupons, shopping sales, etc. Why would she stop now?
    Not leaving a tip is rude no matter how much you make. If you can't afford to tip where you are (restaurant, barber shop, etc.) then you shouldn't be there.

Answer by missanc at 3:20 PM on May. 17, 2012

• 3Libras, spending less than you earn is stingy? Really? So people shouldn't save money? I find that the people who tend to not look for sales when it comes to food are people being cared for by the tax payers (food stamp recipients). Some, those who are working and basically paying the taxes that pay for their assistance, DO use coupons and hit sales but the lazy, sit on their butts and collect welfare people w/no job, are the ones who spend top dollar. They CAN...it's not THEIR money they are spending.
    Anonymous

• Rude behavior is unacceptable no matter what your financial status. That situation would irritate me with anyone, not just the wealthy.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 4:02 PM on May. 17, 2012

• Wow Anon, how did you get that out of what 3 said? I think her interpretation is basically the same as yours. Stingy does not mean rude. It means exactly what she said... they spend less than they earn....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:23 PM on May. 17, 2012

• WOW anon, who pissed in your cheerios????? Damn!

When I used the word "stingy" I was thinking of my own ex in-laws who do everything is cheaply as imaginable, even at the inconvience of themselves & others.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:27 PM on May. 17, 2012