Speaking of coupons, why do rich people use them?

It has baffled me for years. I'm at the checkout at the grocery store and I get stuck behind some person who apparently is wealthy, raising hell about saving a dime, holding up the line. Then I see them in the parking lot in their top of the line car. It irritates me. Like, DID YOU REALLY HAVE TO BE SO RUDE TO THE TELLER for a dime Richie Rich??

I've seen doctors at Supercuts using coupons and not leaving a tip.

I've witnesses this so often and I don't get it.

themodestgal

Asked by themodestgal at 1:38 PM on May. 17, 2012 in Money & Work

• Just becasue they are rich doest mean they like to spead their money carelessly. The are just like average people and like to save money as much as possible.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:41 PM on May. 17, 2012

• BTW you can "guess" they make money by what they wear. I buy designer jeans and tops but spend no more the $30. Thank you Ross!
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:43 PM on May. 17, 2012

• Maybe using coupons is one of the ways they got the be rich.
    o0orange0o

Answer by o0orange0o at 1:47 PM on May. 17, 2012

• Why do people with money not have the right to SAVE money? I use coupons, hit sales, look for bargains, etc.. For our area I consider us to be fairly well off but that doesn't mean that we need to just throw our money away if we can save money. Tonight is 99 cent taco night at a favorite restaurant and it's our Thursday night get together with friends. After bowling on Mondays and Tuesdays we hit places with 1/2 price appetizers for supper and we always drink water with lemon (not to save money but because it's better than soda). We bowl on 2 bowling leagues and get 2 nights of free bowling for practice at one bowling alley because of being on a league there and $2 per game bowling at the other bowling alley we bowl on a league at. We go to movies on $5 movie night &use free movie passes 2-3 times a month. We save money as much as possible, I don't see a problem. We do always 20-30% tip though.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 1:49 PM on May. 17, 2012

• I suppose you don't get rich by paying as much as possible for the things you buy. It's true that a penny saved is a penny earned. The more you save, the more you get to keep in your bank account.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:50 PM on May. 17, 2012

• to stay rich

Answer by admckenzie at 1:51 PM on May. 17, 2012

• I'm not wealthy, but I am certainly not struggling nd I use them. Every cent counts but if one doesn't work or I accidentally slip an expired one in my stack, I'm not making a scene over 50 cents off a can of biscuits. I just apologize for my error. By the way, I wear jeans, tee shirts, old shoes, haven't had a mani, in years, my hair is usually in a mom ponytail, etc. I just don't discuss my bank account nor do I flaunt it. When I was up to my ass in debt and we weren't bringing much money in,my coupon behavior was the same. It's just a quarter or 50 cents.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:55 PM on May. 17, 2012

• Just because they are rich doesn't mean they are exempt from saving money.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 2:12 PM on May. 17, 2012

• The more you save, the more you get to keep in your bank account. --

its really that simple!! lol. its amazing how those who complain about never having money, yet spendspendspend on crap, never have savings accounts, either.
    why do some assume because one is 'rich' (meaning, 'has better quality things' than they do. lol.), they can be willynilly with their finances? the idea that you can throw money around like confetti comes from those whose financial mentality will keep them at their lower net worth...they see no point in stretching their dollar. smh.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:15 PM on May. 17, 2012

• Just because you have money doesn't mean you should squander it. My aunt clipped coupons for years and years, her and her DH did well but she wanted to save everything she could. She shops at Goodwill before looking other places and she drives a Lexus, she drives a Lexus because she cuts coupons and shops at Goodwill. Though not leaving a tip when the person did a good job is rude, I agree with you there
    loveMYkids5488

Answer by loveMYkids5488 at 2:18 PM on May. 17, 2012