Do you think that people attribute racism to something too quickly?

Sometimes I think that it is like a pendulum and because horrible racist incidents and unfair treatment was ignored for so long there is an over compensation now. What do you think?  I am not white - I am Hispanic.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 2:56 PM on May. 17, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Sometimes, yes.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:03 AM on May. 18, 2012

• Yes for sure. Sometimes I don't think it has anything to do with the situation. If two different races happen to be involved it's like it's almost instant.
    Anonymous

• I think the media knows how to sell stories. Keep repeating the same stuff all the time, and people will tune it out. So they wait and over-hype an incident to get everyone in an uproar.

I have no doubt that racists incidents happen a lot. I just don't trust how they are reported and sensationalized.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:03 PM on May. 17, 2012

• I wish all the politicians had to keep their race/sex a secret somehow and we not know until they have run the country for 4 years what race/sex they are. I know it's impossible but it's a thought.....think about it....you wouldn't be able to call anyone a racist/sexist because you wouldn't know until after their term was done. We could then know that we are judging them 100% or close to it on how they did and not what they look like.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:12 PM on May. 17, 2012

• Absolutely.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:26 PM on May. 17, 2012

• I think some people do, and I think it's those people that the media pay attention to.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 4:37 PM on May. 17, 2012

• I think in most cases, yes.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:33 PM on May. 17, 2012

• "I wish all the politicians had to keep their race/sex a secret somehow and we not know until they have run the country for 4 years what race/sex they are."

Hmm, that's an idea for a fiction book right there . . . :-)
    tinamatt

• There are certainly some who are more sensitive to racial issue than others, but as I've said before, racism is in the eye of the beholder. It isn't my place as an upper middle class white woman to tell someone else that their perception is wrong.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 9:17 PM on May. 17, 2012

• In some ways yes. On some ways I see it ignored.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:42 AM on May. 18, 2012