Is this a rule at your kids' middle school?

My daughter is in 6th grade. Today is the 2nd to last day of school. Even though she left the house the same time as usual this morning, she missed the school bus. Perhaps it didn't even come, idk. Anyways, I drove her to school and it looked like she may be late so I asked if she had to go to her locker or would she go straight to class. She said she had to go to her locker because they are not allowed to carry their backpacks to class. Have you heard of such a thing? I consider myself very involved with her school and had no idea this rule was in place.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 4:13 PM on May. 17, 2012 in

• I haven't heard about yet, I also have a 6th grader, but I remember doing that when I went to middle school
    themodestgal

Answer by themodestgal at 4:15 PM on May. 17, 2012

• Not at our schools.
    What kind of issues does the school have.
    We're in a fairly rural area so no gangs or violence to speak of
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:15 PM on May. 17, 2012

• Not in our school. However, it's a very small private school - 150 kids from 6-12 grade. I don't know about the public schools.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:18 PM on May. 17, 2012

• In the various K - 5 schools the kids leave their backpacks in the coat closet, but they are in the same room all day except in 5th grade when they change class for math and Lang. arts. In the middle and high schools they need their backpacks to carry everything they need. They don't get lots of time to go to their lockers. By high school they barely use their locker and carry everything around with them all day long.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 4:19 PM on May. 17, 2012

• None of our schools have lockers.
    Anonymous

• Yes, it's a rule in all the schools in our system. It's also very small, average graduating class is less than 100 , but no backpacks are allowed in the halls or classrooms unless you are directly coming in or leaving.
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 4:23 PM on May. 17, 2012

• I was in high school when Columbine happened and I remember right afterward, they were talking about us only having clear backpacks. I even told my daughter this morning, she found that weird.

On second thought, now that you mention it fera, earlier this year, there was a threat written on the wall in one of the boys bathroom saying there would be a shooting a certain day. It was actually the same day the real shooting happened at that school in Ohio this year. We are in GA and that or course freaked us out. So the rule may be new. Backlash for what happened then.

The area is pretty nice and safe. Doctors, lawyer, entertainers, etc. There is a Country Club right across the street. We pay probably double in rent to live here than if we would in the same size house somewhere else.
    keisha613

Comment by keisha613 (original poster) at 4:23 PM on May. 17, 2012

• I agree robinkane I feel she needs it from class to class. I didn't know she was having to go to her locker between every class. At orientation when we were mapping out her classes, some were all the way on the other end of the school and her locker is only near her 1st period class. smh.
    keisha613

Comment by keisha613 (original poster) at 4:26 PM on May. 17, 2012

• That's the standard rule here and has been even when I was in high school back in the 90s.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 4:35 PM on May. 17, 2012

• She's most likely not going to her locker in between each class. She most likely is taking several classes worth at one time, sharing lockers with friends whose assigned lockers are closer to where her classes are, or sharing books with friends and exchanging them on the way to class. etc. These were all tricks that we used in high school seeing back packs were not allowed in the classrooms.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 4:40 PM on May. 17, 2012