asking again because i got like no answers.. CASTOR OIL!!

What does Castor Oil do?

im curious as to who on here HAS tried it to induce labor and if it has worked for you or if it didnt work for you. and if you did try it, what it did to YOUR body. Thanks :)

(and if you didnt try it, you can give input on FACTS not opinions please but no arguments...im not trying to start arguments at all)

im not wanting a big debate on if you think it works or not and that its bad for the baby. just asking a simple question. it does NOT mean i am using it or will use it or have even thought about using it. im just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well since you didn't like your answers last time how about calling your OB
    Anonymous

• I never tried Castor oil because my dr. said it doesn't work. It will only work if the baby is ready to meet the world!! Funny story with Castor oil, though. When my sis was preg with my niece, she was so ready to have her, so she drank castor oil. She started getting horrible pains, so my bil & her went to the hospital. A few hours later they came back. She wasn't in labor, she just had to poop really bad. So she went to the hospital to take a poop! Talk about embarrassing!!
    themacs4

Answer by themacs4 at 3:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Check this website out:

http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/castor-oil-to-induce-labor.html
    SgrplmsnSnflwrs

Answer by SgrplmsnSnflwrs at 3:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• ITS NOT THAT I DIDNT LIKE MY ANSWERS,
    i just got like 2 of them.. i would like more answers is all..
    Anonymous

• Never tried it.
    jspy72

Answer by jspy72 at 3:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Anon- you need to re-read...said said no one answered her!
    SgrplmsnSnflwrs

• I tried it once and it made me sick. Itll give you extreme bowel movements and something make you throw up too. It is risky, and I havent actually met anyone where its actually worked. Its also apparently dangerous and can cause dehydration, meconium in the baby and fetal distress. If youre considering something like this your best bet is to contact you doctor or midwife and ask then their opinion on using it.

Answer by gemgem at 3:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Castor oil works as a laxative. It used to be used by women to induce labor. My doctor told me NOT to use it because it can cause the fetus to have a bowel movement in utero and then you run the risk of it aspirating meconium. From what I have been told it isn't safe. Call your doctor and ask.
    You can also go to this great site... www.google.com and type in castor oil. It will bring up a whole bunch of pages for you to read and decide for yourself.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• people can be so ignorant ughhh... its like why do u have to be a smart ass... if ur gonna be negative than dont answer the question...

i asked the same thing the other night lol.... i thought it was the oil for cars im like WTF lol.
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I tried Castor oil, My sister swore by it. She told me to mix half a glass with coca cola, then with orange juice, or to mix it all together into a disgusting concoction. Supposedly it worked for her, but the only thing it did for me was make me sit on the pot all night, and I didnt end up having my baby for another week. The purpose of Castor oil is a Laxative. I dont know how it became an old wives tale, but thats just what it is. It cant hurt the baby to try, but you will end up in the bathroom all night and really, if it does throw you into labor, remember its a laxative, and you will be on that table pushing with a doctor, nurses and your SO right there to see, so use caution.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2009