How can people say a 10 month old can't comprehend what the word NO means... but yet... they can comprehend how to give kisses, and wave bye.

I was thinking about that while I was cleaning my bathroom. I posted a question earlier asking for help with disciplining my child and I had moms tell me my 10 month old doesn't know what NO means. Yet, my child knows what giving kisses are and waving goodbye is. Hmm.. what do you think about this?

krazyash023

Asked by krazyash023 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Ten month old babies are capable of understanding "no". The can understand that when they hear the word, no matter what tone or volume, they have to stop what they are doing.

I have three of them who knew it. We started as soon as they started being mobile. I even have a friend who works with Love and Logic workshops who is now using my boys as examples that "no" can be taught earlier than the toddler years.

Do they totally comprehend WHY they aren't supposed to do something, no. However, they do understand that the word "no" means to stop doing it.

Babies are not the mindless blobs some people think they are.
    Anonymous

• They know, they just don't care
    Anonymous

• They are not able to comprehend why you are telling them no. It doesn't make sense to them that they cannot do certain things.
    Anonymous

• Both of mine at 10 months were just mimicking the waves and kisses - not really understanding "This person is leaving now" or "This is how I show love".

It doesn't mean my kids were stupid, just normal.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Babies/kids are smarter then you give them credit for. They under stand language  better then you think. Just watch you child when you talk to them. They understand what your saying.

Answer by louise2 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• It's the TONE of voice, not the word they are responding to - IMO.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Well, waving and kissing are mainly mimicking, at least at first. I'm sure some babies do understand NO. It surely couldn't hurt to start teaching him what it means. It's not like one day he magically will just know...
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 4:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• As others said, waving and throwing kisses is a learned behavoir. It will be awhile before they understand WHY they are doing it.
    "NO" is a complex idea. You say "NO, don't thow toys". OK... does that mean only the wooden block that was just thrown? How about the other blocks? Do cars count? How about stuffed animals? What about food? It's so fun to play with - isn't it just an edible toy? And then you'll change the rules... "Throw mommy the ball, sweetie" and you'll break the rules every time YOU throw something. When can the rules be broken? Why do they sometimes change? All the ins-and-outs of rules are wrapped up in those first, barely understood "NOs". Time, patience, and lots of consistency will help teach the concept.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Babies are visual learners --- which is why they're so good at copying body movements ~~ clapping hands, waving, facial expressions, etc. They don't KNOW what those movements really mean... they see, so they do.

Ten month old babies are incapable of understading "No".
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Kaycee... that was a great answer!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2009