"Electricity is a mystery"

Remember that picture from a "science" textbook from Bob Jones University from the '90's?  The picture of the girl in pink blowing her hair dry?  It was in a post here a while back.

Here's a piece written by a man who read the textbook.  It might be funny, if you find that deliberately misleading students with gross propaganda is amusing.

I find it disturbing that a university, a place where students supposedly attend with hopes of preparing for a future to be contributing members of our society, and to be qualified to hold jobs and raise families, would allow this to be taught as science.  It seems a great disservice not only to the families who are paying a good amount of tuition for their children to attend, but also to society in general that has to deal with the ignorance that graduates from the school.

With regard to religious schools - post high school - do you think it's responsible for them to teach subjects in the manner exhibited in the above link?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 11:04 PM on May. 17, 2012 in Religious Debate

• off-topic musings of a tired 43yo..i read your heading to the tune of Aldo Nova's 'Life is Just a Fantasy'..''can you live this fantasy life?''...and the guitar riffs and synthesizers.
    carry on!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:12 PM on May. 17, 2012

• It isn't a university textbook. It's a homeschool textbook for about the 3rd or 4th grade. Which actually makes it worse cause the poor kids aren't old enough to know better.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 12:38 AM on May. 18, 2012

• I went to Clemson Univ, which is located near Bob Jones. There were a lot of running jokes about the school and their highly conservative ways. I really wondered at how the kids could handle it, but watching my bro now raise his kids under similar beliefs, I'm not surprised.

This book is garbage. People can obviously get thru life without a clear understanding of elementary science, but it's a shame they insist on it.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:16 AM on May. 18, 2012

• Just remember there is lots of evidence all around us not just about science but spiritually speaking as well. Such as God and The Angels!
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 3:17 AM on May. 18, 2012

• It's way to early for that much stupid!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:44 AM on May. 18, 2012

I know I shouldn't take the bait, HMNM, but what "evidence" can you provide?  Evidence, remember, is "the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid."  I know you have faith, but your faith doesn't provide "evidence" to convince me to believe in your god or your angels. 

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 7:29 AM on May. 18, 2012

• Now taking bets on which racist and bigoted website she quotes first.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:01 AM on May. 18, 2012

• I wish I could say what I've read so far surprises me but sadly it doesn't. Have to come back later and finish it ...
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:47 AM on May. 18, 2012