If you get out of your car and provoke a pit bull and the pit bill attacks you, who is responsible? You or the dog?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 7:12 AM on May. 18, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• By law I have no idea, but IMO it's the idiot provoking the dog (or any animal).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:29 AM on May. 18, 2012

• I'd say the pit bull owner has a good case for not being held responsible, if you provoke the dog. Quite frankly, if I were the judge, I'd laugh your ass right out of court if you came in there crying that a pit bull attacked after you provoked it. That's a moronic thing to do. I hope this is a theoretical question and not something you've actually done.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:04 AM on May. 18, 2012

• Ultimately it is the dog owner's responsibility.

Define "provoke".
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:24 AM on May. 18, 2012

• Unfortunately it would more than likely be the dog's fault and, therefore, the owner's responsibility.

I often wonder what the person did to the dog first when I hear that someone has been bitten. Very few dogs attack for no reason, but yet it seems to always be the dog's fault if he bites the arm of the brat who has been throwing rocks at him all week.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:30 AM on May. 18, 2012

• It depends on where you are. If you are on your land and the pit bull is on your land then the dog is trespassing. I don't know that it's smart to provoke a possibly vicious dog, but you are within your rights to want it off your property. If the dog is on public land and the municipality has a leash law, then I guess it would be open to interpretation of what is provocation and what is defending one's self. If you are on the dog's property (owner's property) then you have no right to provoke the dog, however at that point you could be considered as trespassing. If the dog attacked, then it would still be subject to laws of the municipality (quarantine, being held at the pound or being put down depending on severity of the attack if one has occurred).

I don't know if this is how it would actually work, but this is what I would figure.  Still, not smart to provoke a pit bull regardless of location.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:32 AM on May. 18, 2012

• A child could unknowingly provoke a dog.  I think the owner would be responsible unless you could prove the person purposly riled the dog up.   

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 8:44 AM on May. 18, 2012

• I agree that it depends on the situation. If you are parking on the side of the road or something and a dog comes up and bites you even if it was provoked, I would wonder where the owners were that their dog was loose to bite someone. If it was someone who came to your property and provoked your dog, well...the person's fault. If you're on your own property and someone else's dog comes and bites you, no matter what you did, I would holding the dog's owner accountable. Not that I make a business of being vicious to dogs if my neighbor's dog happens over or something, I pick her up and take her back...but if it was a strange, large dog that I didn't know and I felt the need to protect my children, it would be a different story.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:46 AM on May. 18, 2012

• If you get out of your car and provoke a pit bull and the pit bill attacks you, who is responsible? You or the dog?
    How I read the question

you get out of your car= old enough to drive
    provoke a pit bull = threaten the animal
    pit bill attacks you= dog defends itself

who is responsible
    you for never learning don't touch/mess with dogs you don't know.
    stay in the car you dumbass.
    you're not allowed to get out of your car and instigate a fight with a human.
    and doing it with an animal that has bone crushing jaw strength is asinine.

legally, idk.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:57 AM on May. 18, 2012

• So knowingly allowing an animal that can kill a human wandering around the yard is smart?

Stupid people.
    Don't tell me you value human life.
    Idiots.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:12 AM on May. 18, 2012

My own yard? Yes. If you come in my yard and provoke my dog, that's your own fault. If my dog leaves my property, that's my fault. But you setting foot on MY property and then provoking my dog is your own stupidity. He's a pit bull, you have eyes to see that. I value human life, absolutely. If you value it, then you shouldn't come on my property and provoke my dog - regardless of what kind of dog he is.

I'm not an idiot for having a dog that I know can protect my family and I if someone tries to attack us. If you don't like it, stay off my property. Simple as that.

By the way, name calling doesn't convince anyone your argument is right. It just makes it look like you don't have a solid argument, so you need to resort to something silly like name calling.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:37 AM on May. 18, 2012