Almost two and I need to wean her from the plug em up!

Dylan will be two on the 16th of Feb and I really need to get her off her plug. I just hate listening to her cry for it! ( she only gets it when she is going to bed or napping ) Any ideas?

prettypaws

Asked by prettypaws at 4:13 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know how you feel. My daughter really liked sucking too - it was the only way she could calm down enough to relax and go to sleep. She used a bottle of water though. She just turned 2.5 and I was ready for the bottles to GO! We had a visit from the "bottle fairy" a week ago. The fairy came one night and took all of the bottles away to a new baby who needed them. Now, I explained this to my daughter before it happened. I put one of her bottles in a gift bag and explained that when she (my daughter) was ready to start giving up her bottles, she could put more of them in the bag. When all of them were in the bag, the fairy would come and take them. Later that same day, she put them all in the bag, looked at me, and said "No more bottles for me!" Wow! They really can do more than we think! Oh, and she's asked a couple of times but hasn't cried for them.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Tavie was visited by the "Nunu(Pacifier) Fairy". We talked about it for a couple of weeks before it happened, the same concept as the PP "Bottle Fairy", she gives them to new babies who need them, but she leaves you a Big Girl present after she takes all of the plugs.
    It actually happened a little early than I had planned because she lost her pacifier at daycare and didn't seem fazed by it, so I called my husband and told him to find all of the pacifiers in the house and get rid of them.
    That was that - she may have cried a little bit, but it was not nearly as bad as I had thought it would be.
    Taviesmommy

Answer by Taviesmommy at 4:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I was going to suggest the same as the previous posters. But I also read one lady took her child to Build A Bear and had the paci put inside the bear, so they could still have it at night in the bear. Good luck!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Just take it away. Cold turkey. We did that with my daughter at 2 years old and told her she was a "big girl" and that she didn't need it anymore. We let her throw them all out and neither us or her ever looked back.
    Anonymous

• haha mine was easy my oldest kept loosing hers even if i attached them to her shirt they still came up missing so i bought her her last one at like 10 months old and told her ok this is the last one im buying u ever u loose it your SOL a week later she lost it i never replaced it and she was fine now my 1 year old never wanted a passi to begin with what so ever her problem is her bottle
    mommam58122

Answer by mommam58122 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Ben has been bink free for almost 2 weeks now. He didn't sleep very well that first night...none of us did. I wanted to give it to him so bad but I didn't cave. The only thing you can do is just take it away. He doesn't nap every day anymore, either, but I make sure he has quiet time in his crib everyday right around nap time. Sometimes he sleeps, sometimes not. He doesn't ask for the bink anymore. Unfortunately it just takes time. Be strong and be patient! For them, it's a lot like quitting smoking...he got just as cranky as me when he had bink withdrawals! Good luck!
    BriWeaver

Answer by BriWeaver at 8:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2009