how do i get my baby to sleep all night, she wakes up every 2 hours! please help!

My babygirl wakes up every 2 hours and she is 3 1/2 months old. please help...i need some sleep!

ajmwillson

Asked by ajmwillson at 4:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had a friend who's baby did this and was eating like 6-8 ounces at a time the dr. told her to put cereal in his bottle.If that dont work co-sleep.
    Anonymous

• Are you breast feeding?
    hmomr

Answer by hmomr at 4:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• schedule schedule schedule! thats the best way to do it. you want to find a comfortable eating schedule for her. usually its wakeup-eat-play-sleep-eat and so on! she should be eating every 3-4 hours. also, when she wakes up at night make it super boring for her. dont talk, dont play, just feed her or rub her back to get her back to sleep. try reading "on becoming babywise" it helped me so much! and i was able to get my daughter to sleep through the night at 3 days old! it really works
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 4:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• the thing that works for my daughter (shes 4 months) was to give her a nice warm bath, massage her down with that johnsons baby night time lotion, feed her and then swaddle her tightly. we have a wind down period like this every night and she sleeps from 8pm to about 430.
    raina

Answer by raina at 4:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Babies this age are not suppose to sleep through the night, it is what we all signed up for. And sleep through the night is really defined as 5 hours at a time, so don't be expecting these 12 hour blocks where you are off duty. I would only suggest asking for help from your SO in the middle of the night.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 4:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• i agree with natsnumberthree. a 3mos old comes with sleep deprivation. that's just how it is. don't try forcing her into schedules or doing something as stupid as giving her cereal this early (ESPECIALLY IN A BOTTLE). just go with it & try to make fun out of her awake time. i always woke up with my baby to play & she eventually caught on to a rather regular routine.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:46 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Yep, normal. Sorry. There are some lucky moms who get babies who sleep for long stretches at an early age. Most of us aren't so lucky.

If your hubby or SO can help, switch off nights. He takes this night - every waking, you take the next one. Even though the cries will wake you, not having to get out of bed makes a world of difference.
    If you are breastfeeding, have him bring the baby to you or get a bed-side sleeper.. again, not getting out of bed can help.
    Start establishing a bedtime routine. Bath, rocking and feeding, read a bedtime story, tuck in bed. I didn't have enough hands to hold the book so I just memorized one. It's still the last book we read every night (she's 2.5 years).
    Most babies are sleeping 5 hours or more in a row by 6 months. 8 hours in row by about 8 months. Bedtime to morning by a year.
    For now, go to bed early. You can catch up on TV reruns in the summer.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• She's a baby. They wake up. It's part of being a parent. If you are tired, I'd go to bed a little earlier, and try to sometimes nap when she does.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Breastmilk goes through a baby's system much more quickly than formula does. They get hungry much faster and will often not sleep through the night as soon in their development as a formula-feeding child will (according to What to Expect the First Year).  So don't lose heart, it is normal.  My son sleeps for 8 hours through the night, he breast feeds and is 2 months old.  This is not necessarily the norm.  We do have a schedule where he naps mid-morning for 2 hours and then mid-afternoon for 2 hours.  He feeds around his nap times on-demand.  At night, I make sure he's clean, clean-diapered, tummy full and nice and warm and let him cuddle with me before he falls asleep.  When he falls asleep or gets drowsy, I put his soother on and place him in his bassinet.  I make sure he stays warm so that he'll have a better chance of staying asleep.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2009