How can I help my baby stop crying all day?

My 5 wk old baby cries whenever she is not asleep or eating. She hates the swing, bouncy seat, carseat, binky and being set down. My husband watched her for one hour without me and she wailed the entire time! Wouldn't take a bottle of breastmilk or anything!I am going back to work soon and fear my caregiver will hate to watch her!

sara2177

Asked by sara2177 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• could it be colic?
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I AGREE WITH MIDNIGHTMOMA.....
    4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Yep - colic.
    What's colic, you ask? It's a nasty little catch-all term for "your baby cries a LOT and we don't know why". If your baby cries for no known reason for 3 hours a day or more, for 3 days a week or more, then she has "colic". The good news is that it is usually gone by 16 weeks.
    There are tons of "colic cures" out there and they all work... for some babies. There is no single thing that will work for every baby. And sadly, you may find something that works great for 2 weeks straight and then it never works for you again. The best thing you can do is to make a list of things to try, post that list where you can see it, start at the top and work your way down. If she's still screaming when you get to the bottom go back to the top and start over.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• And the most important things to know:
    Do not hesitate to put her in her crib and walk away. Never try to "calm her down" when you are about to explode from anger and frustration. Babies with colic are far more likely to be shaken simply because the parents get so frustrated and overwhelmed by the non-stop crying. It's something that parents of non-colic babies will NEVER understand. So if you are about to start screaming and pounding the walls, put her in her crib, close the door, and go sit in the bathroom with the shower running so you can't hear her cries. Even a few minutes can help.
    Also, monitor you own feelings closely. Mothers of colic babies are far more likely to develop PPD. Do not try to "tough it out". If you start to feel sad all the time, crying for no reason, feeling like a horrible mother... go see your doctor.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• You should check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddRkI5wVIqQ
    Galinash

Answer by Galinash at 5:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

Galinash