How to honor a Godfather?

I'm not asking an opinion on the following: My husband and I would like for our best friend to be a special part of our newborn daughter's life. We have decided to honor him by asking him to be her Godfather. I was raised Catholic and really love the tradition of Godparents - my Godfather and I are very close. However, we have decided not to baptise our daughter and so there will be no ceremony or anything official. (for those not aware, usually you get your Godparents when you're baptised/Christened)

I need an opinion on THIS: Any ideas for something we could do to honor this new role our best friend will be playing in our daugther's life? I've considered having a dinner for him and inviting our close friends but I do that on normal weekends and it just doesn't seem special enough...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Could you have a gathering and call it a blessing or welcoming if you want a non religious title? Invite everyone and give him a place of honor by having him hold her during the blessing/welcoming? If he isn't raising her in the Christian faith, or any other for that matter, I find it confusing to call him a godfather. There must be other traditions out there that honor special adults in our childrens lives like you have in mind. Share when you decide what and how to do it. I would love to hear your ideas. As a practical matter, would he take her if you and your husband weren't able to raise her? If so, place him on your will as her guardian.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 6:14 PM on Jan. 28, 2009