How Much Money????? And what is the difference?

How much does an IUI cost? And How much does a IVF cost? Also what is the difference between these two procedures? I am starting IUI's in March but I keep hearing about IVF's. Anyone with some answers? Thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• With IUI, they simply insiminate a woman with her husbands sperm. They go through your cervix and put the sperm directy into your uterus. It does cost less than IVF, but I am not sure how much less.
    With IVF, the women takes injectable fertily meds which are very expensive, she is monitored via ultrasound to see when her eggs are ready for retrieval, her eggs are retrieved, the man gives a semen specimen, the egg and sperm are put in a petri dish where the sperm fertilizes the egg, when the embryo is at the right stage of development, it is them put into the woman's uterus in hopes that it will implant and grow.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 5:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Check your INS policy, some cover fertility treatments. I have a friend that just went through IVF and her INS covered all but like $200.
    ZakZaksmom

Answer by ZakZaksmom at 5:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• yay for me and you i am supposed to do my first iui in april...mine is only gonna cost me 350...and thats for the sperm washing and everything, i have no idea about ivf and pray that i dont have to do it...i hear its expensive though...good luck
    Anonymous

• Find out if your insurance covers it. My husband and I were going to do IVF and our insurance covered $50,000 for each of us.
    Anonymous

• Alli02's explanation is good, but you can also use expensive injectibles with u/s monitoring for an iui cycle. That's what I did. The IUI was fairly inexpensive and my insurance covered part of that (I think it cost about $500 before insurance and I paid $150, but that does not include the monitoring which was at least $50 every time I went in). The drugs on the other hand were very expensive and not covered at all by my insurance. The drugs cost me about $5,000 per cycle, but it is less if you use lower doses and probably only about $50 if you are using Clomid. I didn't do ivf, but I know it would have cost me at least $7,000 or $8,000 more than iui each cycle. Good luck.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2009