I'm Debating...

My grandmother's eighteen year old beagle, Tippy, died about a year ago and my grandmother has been lonely for a dog ever since. She is turning 85 in a month and, when I asked her what she wanted for her birthday, she said that what she wanted more than anything was another puppy but she was to old to train another pup. They have a fenced in yard and my grandmother takes a walk every day, which she hasn't really enjoyed since Tippy died. It had been their special activity that they have shared since Tippy was a puppy.

I had a thought about buying her another puppy and keeping it at my house until her birthday so that I could housebreak it for her. I already have a house full of animals and kids but I don't think that one more puppy for only a month will be a big deal. A student of mine has a litter of mixed breed puppies that I am going to meet tomorrow. I've seem pictures and they are adorable. The mother is about 15lbs and she is a Beagle/Jack Russel mix and the father is unknown.

I just want some opinions before I decide. My grandfather is excited about this. He knows how much she wants another puppy but he agrees that housebreaking and training is going to be a problem at their age and likes my idea of training the pup myself.

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 7:06 PM on May. 18, 2012 in Pets

• DO IT. If you can help with training, DOOOO ITTTTT.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 7:07 PM on May. 18, 2012

• Be careful. Jack Russel's are a wonderfully smart breed, but a handful. If it has too much of this trait, this could go horribly wrong. You are sweet for doing this, but just pick the puppy carefully.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:08 PM on May. 18, 2012

• The only thing I suggest is to keep in mind that the dog will likely outlive your grandma and grandpa. Will you provide it a good home if that happens?
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 7:09 PM on May. 18, 2012

• I know how to pick puppies. My student's mother says that the mother is very even tempered and sweet.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 7:11 PM on May. 18, 2012

• I agree with Brawnwyn. If you are able to give that dog a home afterwords.....great!
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 7:14 PM on May. 18, 2012

• Oh ya JR dogs are very hyper.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 7:15 PM on May. 18, 2012

• If I have to than I will take the dog if something happens, if another family member cannot.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 7:27 PM on May. 18, 2012

• I say train the puppy and then give it to her and u are very kind
    Shantina

Answer by Shantina at 8:33 PM on May. 18, 2012

• what about adopting an older already trained dog for your grandma, from a shelter or something? either way i think it is a wonderful thing to do for your grandmother!
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 8:53 PM on May. 18, 2012

• Why not find an older dog that is out of the puppy stage and is low key for her.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:56 PM on May. 18, 2012