Abortion for Down syndrome?

Would you have an abortion if you found out your baby had down syndrome. I don't think i would, but I found out someone I know did. I am a very surprised and I don't know what to think. Would you have continued with a pregnancy if you knew that the baby had this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Absolutely
    SgrplmsnSnflwrs

Answer by SgrplmsnSnflwrs at 5:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• It would not change my love for my baby, so I wouldn't never even consider abortion.
    themacs4

Answer by themacs4 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• personally i couldnt' have an abortion for any reason, however I can see why some women would. I have known several down's syndrome or mentally retarded children, they are all happy kids... not bright, and alot of work,but happy.
    I think I personally could not deny my own child that chance at life.

LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 5:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Hell yes I would continue the pregnancy! Our first ultrasound and test results showed that we may have been looking at having a baby with downs. It was scary, but it was just something we were possibly dealing with. We had the test results repeated a few weeks later, to find out that my EDD was wrong! Point being: Those test results are never 100%, what a shame :(
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• well the down syndrome tests aren't 100%, and every child will have some problem within it's life,it may not as serious as Down Syndrome or last as long but we don't terminate pregnancy because of autism or blindness or being deaf or because the child may have a learning disorder in the future so i don't see the reason to terminate because of down syndrome. They're still people and they can still bring happiness and joy, and they are still very lovable, they're just not perfect, but nobody's perfect. I would definately continute with the pregnancy if i found out my baby had down syndrome but i would do research and see if there were special things i needed to know to prepare myself before baby was born.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 5:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Personally, I wouldn't. I have the supports at home and within my family. I work with people with special needs so I kinda know what to expect. However, I would never judge someone who did. People have differant situations than I do and it's tough. I can't judge anyone. I work in an institution and I see it everyday with families who couldn't take care of their child.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I wouldn't abort under any circumstance.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I never even had any ot the tests they offer to look for that. I had ultrasounds with each baby, but no other test. Even if we had found somthing like that I would have continued with my pregnancy. I work with special needs kids, including some with Downs, they do face challenges and provide challenges to those in their lives, but if you talk to parents of any special needs kids, very few (if any) would say they wished they would have had an abortion. For every challenge that a special needs kid brings they bring double rewards and love.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• YES! I believe after having two special needs kids every life is prescious and deserves a chance to live. I dont know what Gods plan is from one day to the next but I do know he chose me to parent my boys who may have been hard to handle for others. Not to mention a friend of mine was told her baby was downs and when she had her she wasnt. Tests are not always right, and just because my baby might be sick woudnt make me want to kill them. I would love the baby to peices no matter what.

Answer by gemgem at 5:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I was told I had a high chance of having a child with Down Syndrome, I did not terminate and he was born with Down Syndrome. I can't imagine life with out his smiling face!! So I was faced with the choice and I am glad it never crossed my mind to terminate.
    Winter711

Answer by Winter711 at 5:13 PM on Jan. 28, 2009